Best bass for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbcollier, Mar 16, 2002.

1. jbcollier

Mar 16, 2002
    I have finally decided that I am going to take up bass guitar and begin lessons. What I need though is a bass and some equipment with it. My only experience with a guitar is an acoustic that I have and I can only play an A, D, and E chord on it. My other musical experience is 8 years of piano.
    I appreciate any help and advice. Thanks,

2. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    i would suggest a squire, or maybe even something from
    as far as amps go, any small practice amp will work (try to get it with headphones... tis is key)
    umm and get lessons immediately (8 years of piano should help a little :D )

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Made in Mexico Fender Jazz
  4. MIM Jazz or P, depending on taste.

Try to get someone who knows basses/guitars to go shopping with you, try out a few, figure out which has the nicest neck.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Get a Fender. You're gonna need one some day.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Usually i would a say a good bass, but with your case, you should get a crappy one.

Get something used. That way if you quit bass you can sell it for the same price.
  7. Chip

May 2, 2000
    my first bass (and still my current) was a fretless
    not exacally a beginers bass :D
    but now i dont have to buy another one cos im better
    just cheaper :p
  8. I'll agree a MIM fender is a fine choice. But Dont sell yourself short. If you can geta bassist you know to go with you to shops and play the instruments you are looing at. Try to learn something simple on a friends bass if possible and go to the store and try it yourself. I was all set to buy a MIM fender this week then I tried a cort C-5 and it blew the fender away so i am ghtting the Cort. If you can I would sugest looking at there basses. They dont have alot of name recognition but theyare nice basses and the also make many many other companies basses for them as well.
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In my opinion, the best bass for a beginner is one that:
    1. Fits your budget
    2. Feels comforable to play
    3. Sounds like you think it should

Having played for over 30 years, it still all boils down to these three things. I encourage everyone to play as many basses as they can - it can be very educational and enlightening.
  10. Honestly, I agree with a MIM Fender. When I was checking stuff out, i blew that off and went cheaper (Squier Bass Pak, which is Squier P and BP15 amp, plus other crap).

Wrong move.

After just about 3 or 4 months, I'm really needing to move to a better bass. Only way I'd suggest getting a Squier would be if you could find a used one cheap, say maybe $100, learn on it, then go get the Fender, or even possibly a better bass once you've got the bas(s)ics down.
  11. Wyattryatt

Wyattryatt Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    i'm learning on an epiphone viola, i borrowed it from a friend, i think the neck is kinda too short, but its not my place to complain, i had no previous music experience and im learning around 1 song a day, but i think that will peak, i kinda like the epiphone, but thats the only bass i know, im new to the whole scene:cool:
  12. P or Jazz, or if you are rich/have money/doting parents get a EB Musicman

13. Aquinas

Mar 16, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    If you get a fender dont get a squier, in my personal oppinion they are just terrible basses. My first was a Danelectro Hodad, and their nifty seventy amp. The Bass only cost about $179 and the amp another hundered. Lasted a long time and worked well for shifting between the hard stuff and jazz. In my opinion that setup is a great start.
  14. Don't get an Ibanez or any Kramer copies. Try to stay away from Rouges if you can. Looking for a cheap bass and amp on Ebay seems like a smart idea but I'm not a smart person so..
  15. It depends on your budget. I was fortunate enough to buy a decent Spector bass for $300 used. You just gotta shop around. You can get great basses for less than half the retail value and when you learn your stuff, you'll have a great bass already and you won't have to go out searching for a better one.