Best bass for a grand?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by opivy3056, May 1, 2005.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up.

Ive finally saved up some money to get myself an upgrade. I want it to be something i can stick with for a long time. My old bass is getting the job done, but im looking for something a step up. I play rock,metal, and funk. Im looking for something that will blow me away. This is what ive been eyeing up!

-Rickenbacker 4003
    -American Jazz Bass
    -American P bass
    -Used warwick
    -Used stingray
    -Used lakland

I like the sound of my jazz bass, it just isnt aggressive enough for my style. The neck on my jazz feels great, but im willing to cope with anything to get a good sound. Let me know about your experiences with these basses. I play on trying them all out!

2. Of those listed my personal preference would be the Ric.

You should also consider a Carvin. Lots of bass for the money.
  3. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I think the Ric out of those but I think you should add A MIA fender jazz deluxe used becuase IMO it beats all of them (except the rick because they are so different)

I went into GC planing on getting a stingrayor a warwick corvette and the guy handed me The MIA j deluxe and I LOVED it put the warwick to shame and the ray was runnerup , walked out with the J right there
  4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
  5. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Make that another +1. XB75, koa/walnut neck, walnut sides, flamed maple top, clear gloss, matching headstock . . . mmm, the gas. Make it passive, too.
  6. Music Man all the way. Best build quality in the price range by far. The tone is a staple in all the styles you mentioned too!
  7. I'd say a used American Deluxe Fender Jazz is a great choice. I've got a great '98, and every single one of the new ones I've played was incredible.
  8. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    +1 on the Jazz Deluxe or Musicman. They'll give you everything you're looking for tonally.
  9. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You have some good picks in your list. But you owe it to yourself to check out a Cirrus and a Lakland Skyline(44-01, 44-02) before you spend your money.
  11. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd recommend the Fender Artist models, maybe the RB4/RB5 or the Victor Bailey (used would be under $1000)
  12. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    American Deluxe Jazz or P as mentioned before
  13. J deluxe for sure. I've laid my hands on each one of those and the Jazz just did it for me, I own a 2000 and it's lovely. That's IMO of course.
  14. I dunno if they'Re available in the us...but Sandberg basses are really great and the "basic" would just fit in your price range, and there are other models which are only little above that.

Check out for informations.

The BAssic looks like the son of a stingray and a modulus flea, plays nice, is built very well and sounds killer.
  15. I would say go for the American Jazz or the used Lakland
  16. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Stingray, would work nice for what you mentioned IMO.
  17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Of the ones mentioned in your original post, I'd go for the Lakland.... and the -01 can be had *new* for way under $1000....
  18. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I like the Rick, but a Musican may be a better choice for the type of music you want to play.
  19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Excellent advise :) Especially the Cirrus.
  20. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    All of the basses suggested are great instruments.I hope you are not in a hurry.Do yourself a favor and try them all (if you can).No matter what any of us say to you, one of these is going to speak to you more than any of the others.Everybody has different preferences, and you have a wide spectrum of possibilities that have been given to you.Take your time and test drive as many of them as you can.Your ears and your hands will tell you which one is the "right" one for you.