1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass for Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noireruelle, Oct 22, 2013.

1. noireruelle

noireruelle

Oct 22, 2013
    I am in the military and will be heading to Afghanistan for an extended period in the near future. I will likely be working in a fairly well fortified/established military location. I expect to just be practicing my bass by myself but may play with others if the opportunity presents itself. So the question is, what's the best bass for Afghanistan?

Two primary considerations at this time are:

1: A basic A/E Bass

or something like this:

2: http://www.travelerguitar.com/products/bass/

I like the headphone jack on the 2nd and 3rd option.

I own a 10" amp, but I'm not sure that I can bring it, or if a bass amp will be available at my location.

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    The Traveller is a fine bass, I have played them and they feel great and sound good through an amp. That stethoscope device they have to listen acoustically is pretty cool, too.
    If you think you are going to be jamming with others on acoustic instruments, an acoustic/electric bass will be a good choice. The Tacoma is a good inexpensive choice.
    Thank you for your service to our country!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd bring whatever bass you enjoy and get an outboard headphone amp. I've never used it, but the Vox Amplug gets love around here but the Cafe Walter gets more love. It's more expensive, of course. Not really up on them, though, so maybe someone else has a better idea.

All the best over there. Just heard on the news that al-Qaeda is planning on ramping up their activity over the winter, so please be safe!

EDIT: Roy's an awesome longtime pro, so if he likes your idea, then thumbs up from me as well ;)

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    U-bass. Small, portable, and kinda awesome. Extra strings might be good too.

5. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I've been deployed to the gulf 5 Times and know issues. If I was you I would call the command. We never had to bring any instruments because the uso had them. They had everything we needed. A few guys had their acoustics but that was it. That being said if I was still in the military and could bring a bass I would bring my acoustic.
    1. Not my favorite
    2. Not to expensive
    3. Can practice anywhere, anytime. No amp needed for practice
    4. Plays softly to not disturbed others
    5. Can be plugged in

I would definitely bring a case with some humidifiers with me.

6. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

I have no suggestions but I want to thank you for your service to our country.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What about that machine gun bass? ;)

8. rupture

rupture

Jan 27, 2012
    A Sand "Flea" Bass ?

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Vox headphone amp, but I've been using a Pocket Rock-It bass amp for the past two years. It's very handy, simple to use, the sound reproduction is very nice and lasts a long time on a single 9-volt battery. I also love that I can plug a source of music (mp3 player, my laptop, etc…) into it with a 1/8"-to-1/8" stereo cable. Gimme a bass, the amp, my tunes, a decent set of headphones (not the ones included…they're kinda crappy) and the cable and I can practice for hours. :bassist:

http://www.pocketrockit.com/Page.php?id=0022

Specifically, I have the S1b model. I haven't had a chance (or the inclination, to be honest…my needs are simple ;)) to try out the V1b, but it might give you a bit more functionality should you want to use it as a pre-amp.

Many heartfelt thanks for your service. Keep your head down and your eyes & ears open.

11. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    First, thanks for your service, and all my good wishes.

How about a Steinberger? They are no longer in their "heyday", and can often be found for reasonable prices used.

One thing I can tell you for sure - they are compact and durable. It would be a solution that gets you a full long scale instrument with a relatively small consumption of space.

If you don't need a true A/E, then I think a Steinberger might fit the bill.

12. A cousin of mine had the same experience getting gear through the USO.

All things bass aside...

Take care of yourself out there, and come home safely.

We cannot thank you enough for the sacrifices you make.

Best of luck, Soldier.

13. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    This:
    Ibanez Mikro short scale bass These are portable, play nice, sound decent and not expensive at all.

and this:
    Korg PX5D headphone amp Lots of fun effects and amp models. Can be used as a preamp/effects unit in front of a regular amp.

or this:
    Vox Amphone Bass headphone with builtin amp Less cords to futz with, can plug in your ipod to play along.

For an ABG to have enough volume to keep up with acoustic guitars it would have to be huge. Tacoma Thunderchief gets a lot of love though.

If it were me I would go with a short scale electric bass and something like this:
    Pignose rechargeable bass amp
    I don't know much about portable amps but always thought Pignoses looked cool.

Hope you don't have to fight over there.

14. I bought my son a Hofner Icon and strung it with TI flats, nice fat sound and weighs almost nothing. Try one out at a GC. If you like it, right now there are 3 used at GCs, 2 for 300 (a black one and a sunburst, both with case) and 1 for 250 (black without case). PS: How much ambient noise are you expecting? I've never needed an amp to practice on an electric. I learned to play without one.

15. The Amplug is pretty impressive for fifty bones. Also, thank you for your service.

16. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think the acoustic option is the best. More benefits, less hassles.

17. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    [​IMG]

18. I spent 2 tours in Iraq, 13 years in the Army, and deployed often.

My advice? If you are taking an iPad, itouch/ipod or kindle, look at the apps they have available. The mobile device has obvious secondary functions. However, there are fantastic music apps available for iOS. You could bring a decent music library along, a bunch of writing and learning apps, as well as a "bass studio" like AmpKit. You have the option of plugging in your bass, headphones, and rocking out without waking the the guys who just came off shift/watch.

As far as basses are concerned, buy a cheap playable bass. Look at an SX by Rondo music www.rondomusic.com if you want a new one. Buy a decent hardcase (used).

Plan on leaving the bass behind. At the conclusion of my last tour in Ramadi Iraq, I gave my cheap Yamaha acoustic guitar away to a young man in need. He still had 10 months left on his tour and had nothing to play. Pay it forward.

If you'd like to ask me any questions, PM me. I'd be happy to share my thoughts on my iPad rig as well as some cheap bass options and some other music survival needs (headphones, earplugs, dust/sand management for electronics and instruments, what the heat and cold is going to do to your instrument, cache packing, and anything else I can pass on).

As always, thank you for your service. Godspeed and safe travels.

Gregg

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Whatever bass you do take will definitely be a top contender for best bass for metal. Nothing is more metal than military actions. Except for maybe leather.

20. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    The short scale Squier Jaguars sound good, play well, and are cheap to buy.

Otherwise I'd probably try to get something headless.

But yeah, If you are going to one of the more developed bases, they probably have basses, for sale. Contact the base for info. I'd bring an amplug or something like that with me, though. Small, useful things like that tend to be in short supply.

I was in the Air Force. Best Wishes, Brother. Stay social!