Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass for around $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blamusic, Dec 21, 2004.

1. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    You can go +/- a few hundred, used or new and it should sound smooooooooooooooooth, I am not looking for a growl or mean slap sound.

Thanx

2. Nick_P

Nick_P

Dec 21, 2004
    Sweden, Gothenburg
    Hi
    I have a Warwick Rockbass and its great, ill put a link to the site.
    http://www.warwickrockbass.com/corvettebasic.htm
    They have got a Review if you go to downloads on the page. :)

3. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Try Fender. The Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, may well be one of the best bass bargains available. You should be able to pick one up for well under $1000. This is not meant to be a boast, but merely to drive home my point. I am a full time touring player, and I have MANY basses. The Miller is my main bass for live playing. I've toured and recorded with it all over the world, and I love it.
    Another suggestion, is a G&L L200. This is a very versatile bass with a killer tone. The neck is fatter than a Jazz, but if that's to your liking, then that is a fantastic instrument. I got mine in 1986, and I still play it OFTEN, especially in the studio. You don't need to spend a ton of bread to pick up a 4 string that you'll use forever. 5 strings are another story, you have to spend the cash. I hope I've helped.

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I am torn between a G&L-2000 and an Ibanez BTB1000

The Musicman Sterling & Stingray are also great.

All four of these axes can be bought new retail for around $1200-1400. Off ebay new for around $1000. Or used of talkbass or ebay for around $800

5. blamusic

blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    How about Spector basses? I havent heard much, the czech line?!

I need something with a very smooth, soft tone. Does a Marcus Miller fit that? Isn't it a bit on the funky side?

6. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Marcus Miller = Pretty funky.

If you want super smooth maybe you should try a neck through warwick thumb bass. I've never played one but I've heard them on a few recordings and it is hard to tell they aren't fretless. But I think they are well above your price range.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If I were in the market at $1,000 or less, I'd have these on my pick list:

• Fender Marcus Miller (used @ $600 - 650)
    • Lakland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe (used @ $750 - 900)
    • Peavey Cirrus (used @ $650 - 850)

Peace,

James

8. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    If I were in your shoes, here would be my top picks:

Lakland Skyline Hollowbody (I wish they made a 5 of this!
    Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne 5 (or 4)
    Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub 4
    Lakland Skyline 44-02/ 55-02
    Warmoth kit bass (which may end up being my next purchase)
    Any G&L Legacy Bass

I was looking into staring a music store earlier this year, and Lakland far and away blew every other company out of the water when it comes to customer service. They also make fantastic instruments, to boot. I can email Dan Lakin (owner/ founder) and get a personal response within a half hour.... how many other companies can you say that about? So, to sum it all up, SUPPORT LAKLAND!!!!!!

9. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've got 2 G &Ls and a Geddy jazz. I would've said a G & L a few months ago, but I just got a Reverend on ebay. Man!! What an incredible bass. Plays itself practically, and sounds like a bass is supposed to sound. That is if you can get by how funky they look.

10. Rickenbacker- most use em for rock , but they can be played with anything from Jazz to polka and still sound like heaven.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Smooth without growl/slap tone? Rickenbacker 4003.

13. steve724

steve724 Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    how about the victor bailey jazz bass from fender. i don't really care for fenders all that much, but this bass rocks. looks great and has a killer tone. check it out. i think the retail is about $1200. so you should be able to get it for a lot less. :bassist:

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Wow, there are some very different opinions here. I have a feeling this is doing nothing but confusing blamusic.

15. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Fender American Jazz bass all the way

Solo that neck pickup and roll off a little bit of treble.

Its really warm and smooth sounding, nothing mean about it :) It should fit your price range, i think you can get them around a grand brand new. Im sure you could save a few bucks getting a used one.

BTW if you want a smoother sound go for the rosewood fretboard version. (incase you didnt know)

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see the point in buying a Jazz bass for the tone he wants. He said no growl/aggressive slap tone. Thats what a jazz bass is. Buying a jazz bass to try to make it sound smoother and round is pointless. Buy a precision bass if you want to go that route.