1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEST BASS FOR BEGINNER JAZZ BAND

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Mar 27, 2009.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    My kids go to a small town high school which has started a jazz band,my daughter is currently playing bass for them so she borrows my 5 string jazz.She will not be playing next year so I am going to have a couple fund raisers to try and donate a decent bass to them. My question is what would be a good bass for this music,good fit to a wide range of players and should it be a 5 or 4 string. figured it might be good to start the kids on a 5string but not sure it would be needed for jazz music.thanks for any opinions.

2. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    As a teacher and a bass player, I would recommend a 4 string. Also, even though it would be for a 'jazz' band, I would also recommend a 'precision' style bass, for the simplicity of controls, and smaller body. The wider neck may be more comfortable for younger players as well.

I'm sure there will be many differing opinions on this, but this one's mine!

All the best,
    Shadi

3. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Yes I should have also mentioned I want to keep it simple,the 5 string I let my daughter take is active 3 band eq and I think it was to much for them to worry about.

4. the engine

the engine Guest

As a former teacher and a person who got his start in a school jazz band, I agree with Shadi 100%. Best of luck!

5. 4 or 5, the bassist will adapt.

I wouldn't say to ditch the 3 band either, rather, teach the bassist how to utilize the EQ in their favor. When you understand how EQ and other instruments work, you can get a wide variety of tones and know how/when to stand out in a given mix.

6. I've got small hands, and I've never understood why some say a P neck is more comfy than a J neck for young people.

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My son uses a MIM Fender Pbass with great results. I think a jazz style bass would work just as well.... Squier, Fender, etc.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    My son's middle school played in a jazz competition/festival yesterday and, after all the middle school's played/competed, a high school jazz band performed as well. Their bass player sounded fantastic on an Ibanez Soundgear four string and an Ampeg combo (maybe a BA115?, couldn't see it well from our seats).

The SR's are fairly inexpensive, have a fast and comfortable neck, and sound pretty nice for a bass that price. If you want something "standard", maybe try a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or a MIM Jazz. Neither of them would break the bank and are pretty good for the money (and these days the Squier might even be the better bass! :eek: )

9. I would say a Fender Jazz.

10. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I have played in jazz bands for school and otherwise for several years, and I would highly recommend a Fender or Squier Precision bass. They have a very great sound to them that just sounds natural with jazz. Right now I play a Fender MIM P-bass, a Fender Mike Dirnt P-bass, and a Squier(yes, Squier) P bass, and I could not be any happier. If you add flatwound strings it sound even better, and if you turn down the tone knob with flatwounds it will give you an upright bass like-sound. Also if you do not like the neck on a P-bass, Fender and Squier offer many P-basses with jazz necks P-bass Jazz bass combos.