Best bass for blues/classic rock under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllmanDeadHead, Apr 16, 2003.

1. AllmanDeadHead

Apr 9, 2003
    what bass is the best for blues style/classic rock, the bass i have right now just isnt giving me the sound i want and i dont have very much money, also i am a lefty so thats another issue, and i did search but i got like 95 pages and none seemed to be the one i wanted...
  2. What do you have now? What are you playing through? Where does your band usually play? more info needed.
  3. AllmanDeadHead

Apr 9, 2003
    right now i have a peavey with just a single pickup and im playing through a 12 inch 100 watt carvin amp, and my band only plays small gigs
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Blues and classic rock? You my friend, are shopping for a Fender Precision if ever there was the case to go shopping for one.
  5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Is also very versatile. I mean, c'mon! Berry Played one!

6. stevedeter12

Mar 10, 2003
    Nashville TN
    My friend;
    I am lefty who has been playing for about twenty years and I've played many different fiddles over the years (upside down righties and everything in between). I'm now playing in a blues band and we play some Allman brothers and what you want is a lefty Standard Fender Jazz bass(they are made in Mexico but the quality is great for the money). They're right around 450.00 or you can try e-bay for a used one. The jazz bass has made me switch from all of my higher end stuff and I now have 2 lefty JB's and my others sit in my closet. The Mexican Lefty is pretty easy to find and you won't be sorry...
  7. AllmanDeadHead

Apr 9, 2003
    thanks for the replies, getting a fender jazz bass was my initial thought so i think i might be going that route thanks again
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used MIA Fender...P or J, your choice.
  9. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    in my opinion I would go with used fender japan bass,the quality is well beyond the mex and about the same price, you can get a p bass special(p and j pick-ups) for about 300.00-400.00 $,i own one and its the BEST fender passive bass i ever owned or played,and everyone who has ever played it agree with me,so check one out its well worth the effort,matter of fact theres one on e-bay now for 285.00$ YOU WONT BE SORRY !:bassist:
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    MIM Fender Precision

Warwick RockBass
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree, a Fender Jazzbass would probaly be the way to go.

But if you wanted to be a little bit different, I'm sure you could score an excellent Carvin off of ebay for 500.
  12. Tommy33

Dec 11, 2015
    P bass or pj bass I'd say with flatts