1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass for Country

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer48, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,
    i currently play a p bass with flats which gives me that nice thumpy p bass sound, however i'm not completely satisfied with the sound, so i'm thinking maybe something with a bit more zing, but still plenty of low end thump, i like the Jazz sound but not sure it would be right for country stuff. Maybe Music Man? What do all you country players use?

2. I should add my natural sound is bit on the bassy side if that mkes sense not that bright, so i am thinking maybe a maple fretboard.

3. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Before you go out and buy a brand new bass, I have to ask, did you try your P with roundwound strings? By the by, I was completely ready to answer "P bass with flats" when I read the thread title and was completely dumbfounded when I read your post.

4. Haha yeah maybe your right maybe i just get tired of hearing the same sound!

5. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Understandable... but... isn't that kinda what a country rhythm section's really all about? (That comes off way snarkier than I mean it to.)

6. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    My current gig is a country gig, lots of newer country covers, and many of our own "modernized" takes on some of the classics. Although I've only been with this band for 2 years, I've been gigging steady for the past 28, and at least half of those years have been spent (in part) with country acts. Funny thing is, never once have I even considered flats, always way too dull for my tastes. I have, however, had the privledge of owning many fine instruments, but the most recent aquistion raised the bar to a level I don't believe will soon be surpassed: Sadowsky. For country, smooth, punchy, warm and versatile. Mine's a Olympic White RV5 w/VTC. Check out this recent thread for my 1st gig impressions (a country gig): http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291006

7. Sadowsky.

8. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    If your looking for a cheaper option than a Sadowsky- pick yourself up a used Peavey T-40 off of eBay. Plenty of old country records made with T-40's.

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Try the $30 option and get some DR Hi-Beams for the p and see what you think.

10. Try rounds, or get a PJ

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You need a really clean meaty sound, with some flexibility. I think P/Js are a good choice (I'm prejudiced). :p

Also, Sadowskys, especially five strings, are pretty common in Nashville. Kevin "Swine" Grant with Brad Paisley has a beautiful baby blue Sadowsky 5er that sounds great on "Time Well Wasted."

Maybe BigMike can comment? :bassist:

12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    My band for the last couple of years played some country, country-rock stuff and my Sadowsky sounded great, even when playing as a trio with only drums and acoustic guitar.

As other have said, try rounds on your P, it might be the ticked out of tone boredom. :)

13. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Those Fender 7150 ML pure nickel round wounds sound great (to me) on my P-bass. :cool:

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think that any Fender Jazz or Musicman bass with roundwounds will do just find, and give a nice contrast/complement to your P-Bass with flats.

I think it has been well discussed that Musicmans are one of the standard basses in the country world.

I still think the whole concept of picking a bass for a specific type of music can be superfluous. . . I mean, I have seen heavy metal with a P-Bass and flats, and I've seen Reggae guys with graphite necks, EMGs and steel roundwounds. . . so. . .

15. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I'm seeing more and more guys out of Nashville on tour using Bongos......

16. I used Sadowsky 4 and 5 string basses- Jazz style.
    But a Music Man is VERY popular in country as is Lakland.

IMO, a PJ Sadowsky would kill.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Sadowsky ? Really ?

Hey - nice basses no doubt but that's a whole lotta cash for what is basically good P or J clone. You can do as well with a decent P, PJ or ?, a good luthier and some setup time.

1. P with flats
    2. Dano Longhorn with flats
    3. PJ with rounds
    4. PJ with flats.

Pick two of the above and you'll be covered for most of what you'll ever be asked to play.

How much you pay for fit 'n finish is up to you. A good P is a good P. Period ... brand name doesn't really matter much...

I play in a roots rock trio. We do a bunch of Rock 'a Billy style country stuff. Personally I really like my Reverends. A PJ with TIJF's and JJ with TI SA rounds. My Dark Star P does a nice job as well.

To me it's about having a good punchy sound that fit's between the kick - which should be mixed down deep and the guitar. It needs to be full but not flabby in the least. This is way more about EQ and ears than it is about strings (although they should probably be reasonably fresh) or brand name basses...

Not dissin' Sadowsky in the least but there's a whole lotta good options out there in P & J clones. How about G&L, maybe Lull ?, hell there's even some decent Fender stuff floating around ...

18. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I played 8 or 9 festival gigs with a country band last summer. They requested I play 5 string(some of the Rascal Flats and newer country stuff is done on a 5 string). I played my Surine but I think a passive bass with rounds is a bit more suited for country. Think Lakland DJ5 or JO5. I think a Pbass with rounds should cover it though. I use a P Bass with Flats in the oldies band I play in.

19. I'm not saying that they are the end all, but walk into a studio in Nashville with a Sadowsky (even more so these days than Fender) and they will be happy as hell.
    And live, you can't deny how they work.

And it's more than fit and finish with them.

But yes, a good P or J is just that, a good P or J.

Oh yeah one other thing........
    It's really all in your hands.

20. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    really big +1 :D