Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass for dollar value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 29, 2003.

1. What is the best bass for dollar value out there. I'm talking serious instruments, and yes the p-bass is a serious instrument, but so is the Dingwall (obviously). I really don't want to hear any of that Ibanez cr@p though, I know some guys like that stuff but I mean c'mon.:D

I guess if you have favorites for recording and live situations post both, and price ranges, why you like, etc...

Here I'll start!

I still like my 71 p-bass, I really think the 70's p-basses are a good value for the dollar, and very practical in almost every situation. Allot of 74 p-basses seem to be used in recording studio's, and just give a great tone, so I'm sure 74 and prior would make a great date for just about anybody.

2. Best bass for dollar ? Essex, plain and simple.

3. I have a 74 P but it costed $1100. Not the best value. I also have a 62RI P that I love, it was $500 off a friend, decent value. But yesterday I received a Squier Jazz Bass I got off of ebay for $136 with a bag. Real good value and I am really surprised by the quality of the guitar, I figured it would be super light made with crap wood but it weighs just about the same as the 62RI. It plays pretty nice too! So my vote is for the Squire stuff, but I would like to try the Essex some time.

Now all I need are some EMG J p/u's-anyone have any cheap?

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    oh no, not another one of these:bawl:

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The best bang for the buck is buying preowned. I have way too much stuff to list but getting a '68 Jazz with amp for $125 is near the top of my list. Most recently my Fodera AJ Contrabass 6 and Bone Avatar singlecut 6. My Elrick singlecut fretless 5 cost me in the neighborhood of a new Peavey Cirrus.

Then there was the Surine Protocol fretless 5 for $1000 from GC...

and so on.

The sweet thing that people usually overlook about buying used is that resale value is much closer to what you actually pay for the instrument AND much more even down the road vs, buying new with it's immediate depreciation factor.

Generally speaking;)

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Scutterflux, I was just going to post my opinions on what I feel are good dollar values like Essex in the low price range and Lakland Skylines and the lower end MTDs. If you do a search of the forum, you find many good comments on these.

But I gotta say that Brad has a very good point. If you're selective (like Brad) and buy used basses, you will achieve an incredible value in basses relative to the price paid.

Let's see if we can get Brad to post a pic of his collection. This shouldn't be considered bragging, but really a nice lesson to us all on what you can amass if you buy used instruments and exercise good judgement in your purchases. I need to start following this doctrine; I've only bought one used bass so far, the F.

7. I was recently in a Situation where I was in a leagle mess & had to sell my Stienburg & my Rig which was all peavey & After the Dust settled
    I needed to resetup I found an ESP F-204 in a shop & I thought the shape was cool but when I plugged it in I found the action to be very fast ( an ESP Trait I found out later ) & low also it has the thinner jackson style neck which feels awsom
    & the mahogany bod along with the Stock EMG's was an awsom combo w/the dual soaps & 3band EQ.Makes for an awsome sound and tone Ive let die hard fender guys play it & they all told me I got an awsome deal. Just so you know I paid a little over 450 for it NEW

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think the most bass for the dollar right now is the Peavey Millenium Plus. Fantastic build quality, beautiful figured maple top, made in USA, top notch electronics and excellent pickups, all for a steal of a price compared to anything comparable.

And Reverend.

And of course Essex/Brice on the low end.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, G. I need to take a new pic.

I recently got an excellent Lakland Skyline 55-02 for $750. I got a relative steal on a Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass (less than a new Pedulla at GC). I have bought new basses, like my Brubaker K5B's and my Fender FMT but I really love finding deals on used basses. IMO there has never been a better time to find a killer deal on a seriously high quality instrument or anything below it.

Of course if you want a new bass, go for it. Sometimes expensive doesn't mean anything more than more money. OTOH when I consider I got one of the new model Elricks, an E-Volution 4 for less than a new MIA Fender Jazz...

Anyway, just for grins, why not talk specific price ranges and features and just for fun, see what we can come up with. I don't think most people realize how far their money can go nowadays.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    No question about that. I only buy used unless there is a serios deal on a new equipment. My latest purchase may take the cake for me though. I just acquired a Ken Smith CRV 5 Pro BO w/ Mac Ebony board for 1250. Now that's value!

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

They're not for everyone, but I think that the Music Man basses are a good value. A well made bass for $1,200-$1,400. There is another thread about Guitar Center with discounted prices now too.

Used: If you like the old P bass. You didn't want to hear it, but just take a second... The OLD Ibanez Jazz Lawsuit basses are nice basses. Some of them were even better than the Fenders they were copying, and you can get one for $200- $400. I think they're the biggest sleeper in the used guitar market. I have one that I bought used in 1978 for $175. I probably paid too much for it, but it was recently appraised at about $250.

Enough said.

12. coolhanddan

coolhanddan

May 16, 2002
    Central NJ
    Best deal in the mid price market is G&L, especially used. Here you have a california, hand made bass, designed by Leo hisself, sounds great, plays great. Oh, and they look awesome too. Ok, so I'm sold. :D

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There are excellent deals available on G&Ls. Great basses.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Excellent deal on a very nice bass IMO.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    MIJ Fenders.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Their are alot of Ibanez basses that are on major recordings & sound good, so by your own statement, the Ibanez should be taken out of the crap catagory into the serious catagory. & thier are alot of recordings with P basses form that era that sound like poop. So should the P bass go into the poop catagory?

17. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    ok man Godin's make a high quality bass through their whole line. try one out today. very inexpensive. My favorite bass is a 300 dollar godin sdpro and it feels better then almost every fender I've ever played with the exception of a jamerson style p bass from the late 60's.

also I've played a lot of Dean basses I really like and I'm quite suprised but nonetheless I enjoy a good Dean now and then.

the Peavey Cirrus series is also very nice as someone mentioned earlier.
    Cort makes a billy cox bass that rocks.

18. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My Spector Q5 was pretty good deal for $350 used. I'd have to say new, you can't get much better value than essex. My SX jazz stomps every other bass I have very played new close its price of a mere $120. I actually like it more than the $270 MIM fenders..:)