Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass for home recording with PC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 27, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you know, near Pc a lot of guitars and basses hum.

which is the best bass for home recording purpose?

some say Spector. and you?

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    There ar eprobably better basses for that ont eh market..but they probably cost quite a bit...all things said, my spector does pretty decent. I play a foot or two away from my computer all the time and only get significant hum when teh treble is cranked. I use a ns2000 Q5.:)

3. dude..............

...........wow.

the bass hums because of magnetic interference with the pickups from the monitor. get a longer cord. a duh.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Yep. It's run-of-the-mill 60 cycle hum.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lightwaves. Lightwaves w/ V- Bass capacity. Whatever bass you dropped those into.

fhodshon? hellloooo?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Gee, what a useful post. Ever hear of humbuckers? Shielding?

Some basses are a lot more immune (or susceptible) to this than others.

Of course, Lightwaves and piezos are totally immune. I had to use the piezos once, the intereference in the room we were recording in was so bad.

7. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I had a hum issue too at first (using a Fender P) when recording on my PC. Heh, like said above, I just moved away from the monitor and it was fine...

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    wouldn't a DI fix the hum?

bass->DI->pc

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    No.

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Any bass with humbucker(s) and/or appropriate shielding will record without hum.

However, I'd highly recommend using a small mixer.

And also... recording with the sound card (I mean Sound Blaster and similar) is not a solution for clean work.

11. Often you can just find the right angle between the instrument and the monitor to cancel out the hum.

EDIT: Both my Peavey Cirrus and newly sold Spector NS2000 work very well although the tone with the Spector was quite weak when going direct.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you want to use a single-coil bass with poor shielding, you can always take a step away from the computer and turn off your monitor.

13. The sheilding in my Rick 4003, there being NONE, that is, is pathetic - I get a cute 85hz hum (refresh rate of the monitor...) whenever I'm within six feet of my monitor, thanks to the dual single coil pickups, not wound in opposite directions like on a Jazz... jerks.

Ah well, I just turn the monitor off when recording the bass.

--jeff

14. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Just replace your CRT screen with an LCD flat panel. Better for your health and eye sight too!