1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass for Justin Chancellor's tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bchamorro, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    other than a Wal....

?:ninja:

2. That bass kit that is constructed from a cardboard box.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A wal!

Oh, wait...

4. cammage

cammage

Jan 8, 2008
    The Young Guy
    ^ Might be hard to play with a pick though...

I would say to try a few Jazzes as well with only the bridge pickup on. And I get a tone similiar to his from my Peavey DynaBass by using only the bridge...

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I'm really sick of this topic....

6. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    I've heard Rickenbacker basses can get pretty close.

7. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Stingray / Sterling HH

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Depends on the album. His tone the last 3 albums is pretty different.

A Sansamp BDDI can help.

9. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    maybe a $$ corvette...

10. Bongo HH

11. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    Danelectro Longhorn.

12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Ritter Roya

13. Ashbory bass
    ashbg01.

14. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Fender Bronco

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    First of all....conduct a search of the forum. I'm a HUGE fan of Justin! However there is really no point n starting another thread about this talked to death topic. Not trying to get on ya but the answers you seek are out there allready.

Having this said. I use a "Bass company" AP 400 MM through a Yorkville XS400 with the tube mixed 100%. through Avatar 212 and 410 Deltas. Pretty close I think. Check the song at Myspace in my signature line.

16. That's easy. You need Justin Chancellor to play your bass in order to sound like Justin Chancellor. As others have said, he's had different sounds in different albums.

I like Justin Chancellor, but I'm seriously thinking he's the most overrated bassist ever. Why does everyone want to BE him? It's not like he's blowing everyone out of the water with insane techniques unheard of. He just happens to have a very good sound that everyone wants to cop.

17. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Yeah to tell ya the truth, he is very predictable. His sound is cool but it's not hard to get. I can get it pretty well with my GK2001 and Rickenbacker. I have a JC pedalboard but i'm slowly but surely moving away from it. I'm keeping some of my JC effects like the Tonebender and Bass Whammy though.

Let's just say JC has a good taste in sound and pedals.

18. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    I've gotten his sound on my Warwick through a Yamaha BBT amp set on 'solid state'. I've also gotten his tone with a stingray through a Mesa tube combo.

JC used to use a Stingray so I'd start there.

19. In lieu of Brad not being here yet;

Dear God, strike me down now. Okay, listen.
    1) GO SEARCH. THERE'S ATLEAST TWO 4+ PAGE THREADS TITLES SIMILARLY OR EXACTLY ALIKE!
    2) Justin Chancellor uses a Wal now, but on most of Aenema, he used a Stingray. Paul D'amour used both a Stingray and a Rickenbacker, depending on what sound you want.
    3) Justin's rig is half of his sound. The other half is his heavy pick attack that that gives him that signature clunky sound on top of the Wal and GK/Mesa amp.
    4) If you're hell-bent on getting his tone out of your rig, you'll need a 2 pickup bass that can hopefully be wired Parallel. SO: The G&L L-2000 Tribute, G&L L-2000, Schecter Stiletto studio, Musicman Stingray HH, Musicman Bongo HH, or other 2 pickup soapbar/humbucking production bass.
    5) Justin's soung is rolled back on the bass almost to about 20-25%, the mids are boosted and the treble is roughly 75%.
    6) JC is great, but you're not him. Try to get your own sound instead?

20. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    im sorry for making another thread!

thank you. you guys nailed the info.

I will get my own sound, but I will copy all my favorite artists first.