1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass for Justin Chancellor's tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bchamorro, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    ^lol Some of us are just sick of this topic.

2. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    Not me!!!

I want more Justin Chancellor sound and WAY MORE SX THREADS!!!

Would someone PLEASE start an SX thread asking if it is comparable to some other cheap bass?

3. YOU GOT IT! AS SOON AS I GO SET MY HANDS ON FIRE!

4. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
  5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    For a guy playing Wal basses his tone isn't exactly brilliant...

6. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    I never understood trying to copy anyone else's sound.. invent your own sound! Just play with your EQ/effects/knobs and find a tone that you like or just play the bass for a while (maybe for years) and tweak it as you go and eventually your own sound will develop. JC didn't get that tone by sitting around thinking, "hmm.. I wonder how I can sound like so-and-so..."

That aside, did anyone read the interview he did in BP magazine a few months ago? It was very interesting reading about how they come up with some of the rhythms and melodies on 10,000 Days.

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Woah, guys - relax... :)

First off, he didn't say that this was going to be THE sound he was going to use for the rest of his bass-playing days.

I mean, come on - all of us have at least attempted to cop another players sound/tone at one point or another - be it Jaco's "favored-back-pickup-on-Jazz-Bass" sound or Mark King's slap tone or McCartney's warm Hofner-esque thump... whatever/whoever. If you say you haven't, you're lying. That doesn't mean that this is the tone you're going to use indefinitely. It's all part of playing bass & the "learning curve": seeing what tones work for certain players and why.

*Steps down off the soapbox* :D

Actually, I'm am a little sick of the JC threads in particular too... :bag:

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1,000,000

Isn't their another thread going on about Geddy's tone that is over 300 posts long now? We all imitate out heroes to a degree, especially when we're starting out. I know I did. It's part of the learning process. If it weren't for our "heroes", how many of us would have even started playing bass in the first place? If you don't like seeing these threads, just don't open them. Let those who know help those who want to learn and click on the threads you are interested in.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I play all kinds of different music and I have NEVER has a audience or band member tell me the bass I was using didn't sound like the original recording.

Would I play RHCP on a Gibson Thunderbird with flats? No, but on a SR, Sadowsky, Jazz, etc. it works fine. I am not running out to buy a Modulus just becase Flea is using one.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am man enough to be able to wear a Justin Timberlake tour shirt on stage during a metal gig. Am I man enough to play that abomination on stage? Not a friggin' chance!

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Funnily enough these are two of my favourite bass tones!