1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass for low end results in indie rock band

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stoney1234, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Stoney1234

Stoney1234

Aug 18, 2017
    Hi guys I have been playing for 25 years now and I was always used to ROCK/PUNK and METAL. I have a ltd b-304 and a Musicman Sterling Ray 34. Both are really high and mid oriented so that fits perfectly for the style.

However I have joined another project which is Indie Rock and that doesn't need too much of a slappy high or mid sound but mostly a lot of low end and a bit of mids.

In this band I play through a Fender Bassman 200w combo.

I am thinking Fender but really don't know there is too much choice: jazz, jaguar, p bass...etc.
    I was also looking maybe for G&L Asat which I love but out of my budget. I am looking for 1000-1500 $ CAN which is like 800-1200$US.

Here is a link to listen to what this project does. in the video this is the old bass player with a different rig than mine.

Let me know!! would be great! :)

Cheers

selowitch and brianmharrison like this.
  2. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    You could make the gear you have now work very well for any style of Rock, but I’m sure this is not what you want to hear. :D

Prediction : this thread will be a musical style label fest. Can’t you just call it Rock? Or are the labels needed to know who you don’t want in your band? :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    pcake, smogg, alesreaper9 and 3 others like this.
  3. Belabor

Belabor

Oct 23, 2013
    I'm in an indie rock band as well, but we sound a whole lot different than you guys! I guess we have more influences from British indie rock as opposed to American indie.

I've had great results with my P-bass. As we're going towards a more slacker/surf sound too, I've been thinking of adding a Mustang bass. I pump the high-mids and the bass and take just a tad of highs off and it sits right in with the two Fender-type guitars and a pretty loud drummer!

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You already have a Ray... the bassist in that video is playing a Ray, and his tone sounds pretty clean. I'd suggest you just experiment with EQ settings before spending any money. Unless the whole point is just that you WANT to spend money, of course.

pcake, SunnBass, mikewalker and 12 others like this.
  5. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    I really liked the tune! However I would say just keep using the Stingray...unless you really want to use a different bass I would say get a Precision. The P would fit perfect in the mix.

6. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    If you want lows and some low mids, a Thunderbird might do the trick. I know that's kind of what mine excels at.

physics likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    G&L L2000 Tribute. It will work for quite a few genres, and even though they sell for $799 you can buy a new one for $599. 2z6yycw.
    G&L SB-2 Tribute…it's a beast but can be tamed.
    Great prices on these.
    2ngvo6e.
    G&L Kiloton Tribute. Again, great prices and the new Irish Ale model looks incredible.
    2195ie9.
    Flatwound strings or tapewounds.
    I use them exclusively, blues, rock…hard and soft, etc.

Of course, you might simply consider putting flatwounds on your Ray34.
    I did and it became an entirely different bass.

mpdd, Mvilmany and AztecViking like this.
  8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    As a G&L freak myself, I completely agree with these recommendations. The L-2000 provides tons of lows, but is so flexible that you can do just about anything with it. The SB-2's split-coil pickup has more punch and lows than a regular P-bass, which makes for a total rock machine IMO, so if you're playing rock, you will not go wrong.

However, if you want real LOWS, I don't think the Kiloton is what you're looking for, despite the undeniably GAS-inducing vibe of the Irish Ale Tribute. I used to have an L-1500, which has the same pickup in the same location, and while it does produce low end, there's a ton of high-mids energy there too. In my experience, its awesomeness varied enormously across different rigs and in different rooms. Sometimes it was an unbeatable rock stage bass, but sometimes it sounded too thin and nasal IMO. Never a problem cutting through, but sometimes a problem laying it down.

AztecViking, willsellout and jd56hawk like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    When OP described what he was looking for, that's what popped into my mind, too. A T-bird would fit the bill nicely, and I think would also sound good in that music.

I also agree with the others that you don't really NEED another bass, but we all know that's not what these threads are ever about. You NEED justification to buy another bass, and a new band is perfect justification for that :)!

Another bass that would fit your requirements is no longer in production, but if you could find one I think you'd be happy - and it would be a nice compliment to your Stingray. Fender Modern Player Tele bass. I owned one for a few years, and got rid of it because I had no at the time for that low mid heavy bass kind of tone. I miss that bass though. It kicked butt. And new it was only around $600-700. If you're lucky you might be able to find one at a good price.

ae1ca40f79def0217efb801f1844f38b.

10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    One of these just popped up in my area... I never considered these guys before, thinking it was another cheap attempt by fender to throw some random pieces together and empty our pockets but after playing it, I was pleasantly surprised! It really seems to be a versatile instrument and definitely has a ton of low mids/bass to it. Not much in the way of sparkle at all though, so id stay away from flats if you want any kind of rocknroll in your sound

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  11. markbvt

markbvt

Jan 4, 2018
    My initial response was going to be that a P-bass is ideal for that style of music... but the real issue getting a tone that really works for that kind of band is not going to be your bass (as others have pointed out, the Music Man will do nicely), but your amplification. Trade in the Bassman combo and add the money you have to spend, and pick up a decent head and an Ampeg 8x10 cab (the classic sealed kind, not the ported one). The 8x10 has all the lows you want, but also has the punch to compete with the guitars and drums.

I've played in a few similar bands, and the Ampeg 8x10 (in my case with a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ head, but the classic Ampeg SVT head would be awesome too, or any number of other good tube heads) was the first cabinet that delivered a tone that I was really happy with.

And yeah, for this style of music, stick with roundwounds. You want that midrange punch.

--mark

GrapeBass likes this.
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Yeah... that bass was a keeper that I let slip out of my hands. At the time I was used to my active MMs and I couldn't dial in a sound that matched. I shouldn't have been trying to dial in a sound that matched :). Seemed like, in comparison to my Stingray, it didn't have anything past the halfway mark on the Stingray's treble knob, and had a bunch of different warm different stuff on the lower end. The bass sounded great, cut through in the mix.... ehhhh.... I'm making myself sick. I WANT IT BACK!!!!!

JRA and superheavyfunk like this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    This sounds like pop punk/post punk to me FWIW. I think a P, PJ, or G&L would be great if you don't want to use your Ray.

Waltsdog and BlueShox like this.
  14. Something black and with humbuckers. That band could use some overdrive distortion on the bass too, again that means humbuckers.

15. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I'm pretty sure you can EQ that sound out of the basses you currently have.

Gearhead17 and Michael F Clef like this.
  16. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    I don't want to be the one to nitpick genres, but you have definitely joined a pop-punk band and not an indie rock band. Your Stingray will do just fine...

If you super want to buy a new instrument, get a P-bass.

17. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Talk to @MarkoYYZ at Hammersmith. He's in Canada, so that may make things easier for purchasing.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I vote strongly that you look for a fender Starcaster or an Epiphone Jack casady bass. Thunderous lows and you will fit in with the rest of the bands hollowbodies.

19. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    There is literally a MusicMan being used in the video ;)

You don't need another instrument, you just need to turn up the bass and turn down the mids and high in your amp until you get the sound you're after.

20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    You can definitely use drive with single and split coils as well: in fact, many people prefer it.

SunnBass likes this.