Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass for Metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sultan Of Swing, May 31, 2002.

1. Sultan Of Swing

Sultan Of Swing

May 31, 2002
    What are (is) the best guitar for Metal, as in the hard Pre 90's Metallica stuff?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Shoot...raging drums, Guitars capable of making small childred (and some adults) cry? Vocals that strip paint off walls?

And still manage to Bass in all of that?

The answer, comes in two parts. 1) What's your price range? 2) How many strings you want

Big $$$-
    MTD USA's. Some of the best made.
    Modulus Quantum- Excellent, excellent axes.
    Medium $$$
    Peavy Cirrus- Incredible basses, and easy on the wallet
    Lakland Skyline- Lakland basses, make no mistake.
    MM Stingray- There's a reason they're classics.
    Easy $$$
    MTD Kingston- Still MTDs, and killer metal basses
    Fender P- A classic, for a reason.

I play in a hardcore/metal outfit, and personally use the MTD Kingston 5. The B string beats out some 2000 basses I've played. Ubgrade to an active pre-amp, and this thing is a pro grade instrument, for less than 600 bucks.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Brendan, Brendan, Brendan....

...you need POINTY!!!!!!!!

I'd recommend hitting some pawnshops and keeping an eye out for a lime green or black B.C. Rich Warlock!

:D

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We have the Lime Green one at a Cash America is Ft. Pierce! :eek:

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The one on US 1???? Geez watta hole that town is....;)

Quick, buy it before anyone else finds it!!!! :p

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Buy It? I'm sorry, you must have misstyped. Of course I'll burn it before anyone finds it, though you didn't need to say it, I kinda planned on it anyway! :D

Well, less lime green that a dull, almost olive drab, puke green. Only B.C. Rich...:rolleyes:

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Depends on what you mean by "Metal":

1) For Hair Metal:
    - BC Rich
    - Jackson
    - Anything covered with small mirrors
    - Anything covered with fur
    - Anything made from something which used to possess fur
    - Charvel
    - Something Pink, Green, yellow or blue, but most definitely neon
    - Something made out of what appears to be a tailpipe (see "W.A.S.P.")
    - Something with a built-in handle (think Steve Vai, but with a bass instead)
    - Whatever that guy with the mullet is banging on in Guitar Center on your next visit (okay, to be a bit more specific, the guy with the mullet playing one of the basses)
    - Something that has a straplock solid enough to allow you to be able to sling it around and around your body repeatedly
    - Something in the shape of (insert preferred brand of Kentucky bourbon here) bottle
    - Something that lights up
    - Something that shoots sparks
    - Hondo (II, that is!)
    - Something with stripes
    - Something with skull-shaped knobs & tuners
    - Something that will make the bleach-blonde chicks in the crowd pull up their shirts for you

2) For Metallica or Pantera-type metal:
    - Something angular (Perhaps an ESP)
    - Something black

Hope this helps....;) ;) ;)

8. if you want to play metallica on bass.. you might as well get an air-guitar :D

9. do i hear someone say whisnevsky (sp?) ?? :p :D

10. Lol, i agree with Allodo.....Im not much of a Metallica Fan

11. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    WOW.......rough crowd around here:eek: If he asked about Jaco you guys would be sticking to your underwear:D

My band plays tons of Metallica (Kill/Ride/Masters) and my Ric 4003's always suit me fine.....nice raspy tone.....love it....

.....and yes, I used to own a BC Rich American neck-thru Mockingbird a few years back and it was one of the best playing/sounding basses I have ever owned and it looked pretty cool in a gothic-sorta-way.......so there;)

12. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    go for an esp

13. love my BC Rich warlock, although i think its american, and it was made in 1984 when metallica was doing their best stuff. Rex from Pantera uses a Spector, not sure what Jason or Cliff used though. A bass is a bass, i think pickups, bridge, and strings determine the sound more than anything else. All the other stuff is just to improve playability.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How 'bout that green BC Rich at Iron Maidens' NAMM pics? If I ever would be getting a pointie, that'd be the one.

15. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio

Cliff used a modified Rickenbacker 4001 and an Aria Pro (not sure what model). I'm sure he had others but those are the two I remember seeing him play on the Ride the Lightning Tour.

16. Ibanez_4_Life

Ibanez_4_Life Guest

May 31, 2002
    Silverdale, Wa
    The brands I'd stick w/ for metal are:
    1) BC Rich; lots of great bassists in the metal industry use these. One of the best is Talena Atfield from Kittie, although she left recently and now theres some gay bassist.

2) Ibanez; Mostly for Nu-Metal, like SlipKnot and Mushroom Head. Also Death Metal bands like Six Feet Under use Ibanez. But GodSmacks Robie Merrill uses it, thats all that matters:)

3) ESP; Tom Araya from Slayer has his own sig model witch is hella cool. Talena Atfield uses the B-104 model and the tom araya.

17. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    BC Rich's with a DiMarzio twin-P config., or a Ric 4001/4003.

18. Get A Fender P- Bass. Your sound will rock but you will probably not look as kooky as the rest of the band thou, ;)

19. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    How does the bassist sexual preference matter in what brand of bass they play? Chill with the homophobia!

The bassist from Slipknot uses a Warwick, which would be a good metal bass, by the way.

I say check out anything in your price range. Afterall, who says whats metal?

20. * ahem *

Slipknot is not nu-metal, but metalcore ;)

" gay " is an English substitute for 'happy'.. so if there are gay bassplayers, praise the lord ! nobody likes grumpy people :D