1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for modern country?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jov1321, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Yeah, I've wondered about that myself, as much use as the B gets in our 5 set list, they've got to be using a drop tuner or tune bead. I fined it easier to use a 5er than to relearn the E string or go way up the neck for g string notes.

2. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    A starbass by warwick?!

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    If you want to go retro all the way you will have to complement one of these with a rhinestone encrusted suit, real cowboy boots and a pompadour, just to complete the look. Think Conway Twitty etc. Conservatively Austentaious , that's the look

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    jd56hawk likes this.
  4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    In country music the money is all below the 12th fret, some would argue the 5th fret. For those not comfortable with more than 4 strings the BEAD is a widely used option

FlatwoundFunk and 47th Street like this.
  5. Bassmann79

Bassmann79 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2015

Correct, Shania's bassist played Warwicks but she is NOT country. She however is my woman so watch yourself.

47th Street and Freddels like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

For the modern "new country" just about any modern bass will do, at least 5 strings. I happen to use a Carvin LB76 because I like Carvin. For the classic country I put flat strings on my old Fender Jazz Special to give it more vintage "thump". I've been eyeing the Carvin PB5. It seems very versatile and has " the look". ;)

I also use a Fender Kingman for acoustic stuff.

IMG_20120912_154555.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    In my country band I played a G&L L2500 Tribute for a few years. For past year I played a Gibson EB 5 string. I regularly got complements for both. Another bass I would consider is the 5 string Fender P-Bass with flats.

FlatwoundFunk and Oldschool94 like this.
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I agree completely and think it would be awesome!

47th Street and jd56hawk like this.
  9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    G&L L2500 or Peavey Cirrus 5 String or some type of 5-String Jazz bass

You dont have to play 5-string, but it is highly recommended to have the ability to go below "E"

Use Roundwounds for that bright punchy modern clarity (very important to make modern country sound "modern") but also have the ability to dial it back - even choosing specific pickups - for the few classic country songs you'll be covering (chances are you will be doing some Merle Haggard - just about every modern country cover band does)

Country music, from classic to modern, is a great way to learn Swiss Army bass playing

FlatwoundFunk and Oldschool94 like this.
  10. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    5 String Thump. These are Nashville freelance bassist Victor Brodén's basses. The linked article talks about how he's lost work in Nashville due to the look of his Sandberg Patchwork bass but it's after playing it for several years, it has become part of his signature look and it's now (Edit: "not") getting him work.

BassOnBass-026_FEATURED2.

These are

Oldschool94 and electracoyote like this.
  11. It's not just awards shows, but it seems like a lot of the live concert footage I see of country acts features a bass player taking the safe route with a somewhat traditional P- or J-shaped fiver.

It's sad, but true: People listen with their eyes as much as their ears sometimes, and looks make an impression and matter. Maybe not so much to us bass players, but to a lot of the people around us.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Doghouse, strung with guts.

BassCliff likes this.
  13. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Man I miss my guild pilot....

BassCliff likes this.
  14. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Morgan F bass, Craigslist, Wyoming. (no affiliation with seller)

[​IMG]

/\/\3phist0 and 47th Street like this.
  15. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    The bad thing about a PBEAD is that the next fret is probably closer than the next string. I despise 19mm spacing as much as I crave picked-P sound.

16. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I had a typo in my statement. It's "now" getting him work. I had it state that it's "NOT" getting him work.

I agree, though, and he even states it, that people listen with their eyes.

electracoyote likes this.
  17. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Modern Country is the new version of the 90's hair bands. Twenty years from now we will all be saying "remember when we were all dressing up like cowboys for no particular reason?"

18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    When I played country, joining a band that had already been popular for more than a decade, they didn't care what model I played. They cared how I played. At the time I had a Planet Green Pedulla Rapture J2-5 and nothing else. Trust me. It didn't matter.

19. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Like Tom Petty said "modern country is just bad rock with a fiddle". P Bass is the answer to your question. No fiver necessary.

20. Jov1321

Jov1321

Feb 26, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I may have found something by Kiesel that will work, a P/J bass that's still got that fender look.

cabcreaser likes this.