1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for modern country?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jov1321, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    maybe some sort of P/J 5ver would cover all the basses .. ! i prefer Passive , as i have enough pre's and eq's after the bass .. !

2. Jov1321

Jov1321

Feb 26, 2014
    But then again, I'm crazy hesitant to pull the trigger on anything I can't feel first. If people listen with their eyes, the starbass would do it for me as a listener lol

3. NonDJ

NonDJ

Jul 6, 2013
    Knoxville TN
    Sadowsky with a P/J is the "In" bass from what I see around Nashville. Still see a lot of P Basses as well.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  4. Of course, there was a time...

If anyone can tell me what kind of bass Johnny is playing, you get a TB Gold Star.

JohnnyPaycheckGeorgeJones.jpg

5. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I cheated and looked it up so won't comment. ;)

electracoyote likes this.
  6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

When we take off on this years spring, summer, fall, middle America, sorta' modern country tour, I'll be taking the same old 4 string, passive Fender Jazz I've always used.
    "For me", I just never found a need for a 5'ver.
    The change for this year will be in amp heads, I'm running two Mesa M-6's.

7. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I would guess it's an Eko.
    (Re; E.Coyote's post)

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    its a Teisco , perhaps the Del-Rey model

9. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    so not an Epi Thunderbird?....they sound killer

10. I had to do the same.

Best guess so far.

I believe correct answer on this page

Can anyone ID Johnny Paychecks bass? - Telecaster Guitar Forum

It certainly didn't look like a traditional Fender or an upright. But when you're George Jones' bass player, I don't think too many in the audience gave a damn. I think if you're still working on cred, people tend to look more critically. Once you're established, you have more wiggle room.

It seems I've also seen a clip of Johnny Paycheck playing what looks like a Gibson EB/SG body with a Flying V headstock all painted the same kind of metallic pelham blue. Now I can't find it.

Gold stars for bassfran and bluesblaster. Thanks for playing.

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    The Zane basses seem to be getting more popular with a lot of Country artists. Here is a picture of Michael Jeffers with his. He is the bass player for Joe Nichols.
    [​IMG]

12. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Any bass that successfully played 1970s southern rock music will be fine.

13. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
  14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Me? I'd go with an active 5 string for sure.

A nice PJ5 or Stingray 5 would probably be my first choice. I'd give preference to Mike Lull and Sadowsky for the PJ5, with Lakland and EBMM for the Stingray. I know the 55-94 doesn't quite sound like a Ray but I'd gladly rock it anyways.

FlatwoundFunk and Oldschool94 like this.
  15. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    5 string or BEAD is needed. Modern country has more active basslines and bass solo parts than any genre short of jazz or maybe prog, so the money is all over the fingerboard. Anyone who says EADG can cover modern country without an octave pedal is wrong. (Add drop D and maybe depending on setlist)

I use a vmp5 for my pretty sucessful country band. Active or passive would work, p j or soapbar works. Old country could be 4 or 5.

Its about how you play and your tone. Some image matters, but not as much as you'd think.

16. Fender jazz 5

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I currently play in a Young Country band and use a Fender Dimension Deluxe 5. It is very fine tonally and sounds modern but not obviously so. My backup is a Fender Precision V. Both are American made and either is a great bass for the newer or classic stuff.

FlatwoundFunk and Oldschool94 like this.
  18. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Ok, I read the whole darn thread.

Answer me this, what's with all the 5 string recommendations in order to play country? What does the 5th string do for you?

Just curious.

19. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    In modern country, the recorded bass parts spend a lot of time on the B string. If thats the style im trying to play, i need that string to approach the music in the same way as the studio bass player.

Our modern ears are accoustomed to notes that low now too, lower than E aounds modern.

20. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Got it. I've never tried a fiver. Need to noodle with one someday I guess.