1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for modern country?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jov1321, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Country bassists write around the B, e.g, they will start or end a run hitting a double D on the D string, next time on that run, they will hit the first D on the D string and the second D will be on the B string, it totally changes the run and the vibe. This is one small example. They are famous for changing things up on EVERY verse and chorus, never playing the same thing twice, this gives them room to move to without going up the neck and losing the bottom.

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Its fun, but remember to try more than one, like 4s they all feel different

StudioGC and Oldschool94 like this.
  3. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I'm not much of a Country type, but my brother is. He's a producer/songwriter out of Nashville, so I called him earlier today just to see what his thoughts were. He said in his experience in studio work, one or maybe two out of twelve or so songs requires a five string. He also said he believed that the majority of basses were Fender Ps or P-types from other makers. He also said that he's noticed some bass synth creeping into production songs coming out of there recently. But for the work he produces it's still all electric bass for the final product, even if they use synth for roughing in songs as they're putting them together, which they do once in a while.

4. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Not discounting your brother at all, i totally believe that 4 string basses rule the studio for most tracks recorded.

BUT ime in bands that cover country songs i need my 5er. Im curious what percentage of the country top 40 have recorded bass notes below E.

Edit: i need a 5 or hipshot droptuner/some alternate tuning to play "save a horse" as an example. Or an FGL song.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  5. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Alao, op asked for a 5er. Ill atop gunking up the thread now.

6. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

That would be interesting to know. Of course he's always listening to other's work, but in his own domain it sounds like somewhere between 10 to 15%.

Shepp-27 and Dogbertday like this.
  7. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I bought my Am Dlx Jazz V just for modern country gigs. It does great with a nice B-string, but I feel lots of other basses could also do the job just as well.

FlatwoundFunk and Session1969 like this.
  8. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ime a good modern active 5 string would be fine for 'modern country'- (which is really pop rock music with a twang)
    Also a nice p bass, jazz bass or stingray works great.

Jov1321 likes this.
  9. When I watch the country award shows and see guys with foot tall blue mohawks playing on national TV I have a hard time believing that what the bass you're playing country on looks like really makes that much a difference. But that's just me...

10. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    When i said image i did not mean to imply a quinicential country image. I meant that like any genre having a look (instruments included) does play a role, though i think we agree that choice of and look of the bass guitar itself is pretty unimportant.

My guess is the act you're referencing puts a lot of thought into image.

11. See MM 5's a lot with country bands or the cover bands that play some country along with their classic rock. The most important thing though, is to find a bass that likes to take a truck down a dirt road to a party out in the sticks with real country girls. Alternately, the bass could also enjoy drinking tequila in Mexico while wearing either a trucker cap or a low slung cowboy hat (preferably accompanied by a country girl in a bikini with either a trucker hat or low slung cowboy hat). Those are the traits that true modern country basses have...

12. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    It makes no sense NOT to get a 5er if you plan to play a lot of modern country gigs. No one is going to pass on you for having 5 strings nowadays, but you need to be very good at floating your thumb and not having strings ring out. Producers stay up at night thinking about harmonics ruining bass tracks because the low B was ringing just enough to ruin a take.

I think the best way to go is a passive 5er to start and then add a Sadowsky. A Lakland 5564 is a perfect fit for about any gig you will encounter.

rob2966 and Dogbertday like this.
  13. I'm not a big fan of active basses, just because of Murphy's Law and "Gibson Luck," which is 10x worse LOL. In truth, though, I do all kinds of country on a Warwick Streamer RB5. Solid black, with the exception of a couple black n white stickers (to cover battle scars) and chrome hardware. Even though it's passive, it is very well defined and sits very nicely in a mix. With 2 pickups, 10 fingers, and several places to put 'em, I can get a pretty broad variety of useful tones over the course of a 4 hour gig.

Dogbertday likes this.
  14. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Im in a very busy band that covers both old and pop country. While I've used a Sadowsky 5 in the past, I have pretty much settled on 2 basses for everything. A Sadowsky PJ4 and an old Fender P-bass, both with hipshot d-tuners. They do a great job, as well as have the "vibe" that some people expect in the genre. I made a conscious decision to stick with the 4's, because I only need the low D or D# for a very small number of tunes and the hipshots on both basses handle those just fine. All that said, I'm not supporting a major artist or working in a major studio. But my previous comments are valid IMO, specifically, many major pop country artists are now being supported by bassists using 4's. I'm sure they have all the tools they need in their box, but you will see more and more 4's coming back on the live stage and I suspect often in the studio too, from what I have read.

FlatwoundFunk and Dogbertday like this.
  15. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    /\/\3phist0 likes this.
  16. Matches

Matches

Mar 17, 2012
    Portland, Or
    I'm playing in a country band as well. I'm using a Ric 4003 and a Fender Jazz with a tony Franklin fretless neck. To get some of the low notes, I'm using a Meatbox suboctive pedal. We play new and old hits but my rig seems to work pretty well with our material.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  17. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I use a Lakland Skyline 55-60 (modified with EMG pickups) and 55-64 in my Country band. The 35" scale really makes those low notes shake the house!

image.jpeg 12185205_10207796811667759_420720834303925885_o.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  18. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Fender P bass for older country !
    & a fender jazz bass for more moder country!

19. elkkid2

elkkid2

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    I'm playing a LOT of Country on the West Coast. I use a Fender Amer. Deluxe 5 String Jazz Bass. Works!

DSC07942_zpsgjkuurzb.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  20. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Fender American Deluxe V does the job.

elkkid2 likes this.