1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for modern country?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jov1321, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    A guy I knew toured on a Modulus. 25 years. Must have done something right!

If I might add, that bass has punch and clarity. At the same time!

2. VinnyIuspa

VinnyIuspa

Nov 12, 2013
    North Jersey
    It already is

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I would go with an active 5 string Jazz or P/J. Fortunately, there are a lot of choices out there for various budgets.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  4. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    The right bass guitar for all occasions...

Attached Files:

5. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    6827fddea07607486ad9a58ebe113a99_pc.

Jov1321 and RichSnyder like this.
  6. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I actually want one of those, not for country, but it might be fun for a song or two.

BigBobbyBass likes this.
  7. 808P123

808P123

Mar 25, 2015
    I gigged with a Yamaha BB425 doing modern country. The house rig was an SVT with an 8x10.

I prefer a Precision with flats but that wasn't going to cut it on tunes like "I Hold On"

I ended up with the Yamaha because it was the only reasonably priced 5 string that sounded even on the B string. I bought that bass specifically for that gig and to be honest it took a few months of practicing and gigging every Friday and Saturday to get used to the feel.

8. 808P123

808P123

Mar 25, 2015
    Baldwin

9. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Washtub augmented by a jug.

10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

A home brew in the last pic, the one with my Squier VMP5 and the Mesa Subway 112 cab is a Gator, with a Korg pitch-black pro rackmount tuner mounted to the front edge.

11. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Having a B, or at least a C# also suits everybody other than Steve Perry's vocal range a lot better IMHO.

12. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    A tuba? :laugh:

Boy, that would be a country song.

13. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Musicman Bongo. You'll get weird looks until people hear the tone :) I love mine

14. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I've used my Music Man Sterling 5 as well.

12321242_10208423963026151_5333169007197507339_n.

TrentB and FlatwoundFunk like this.
  15. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I play strictly five strings on stage and in the studio with one exception and that would be a Kay 163 Reissue. I play primarily country and reggae. The Kay is just too fat not to use if I don't need a B string in the song.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Perhaps you can relate the low B notes (below open E) to a Southern Baptist church organ and those low notes. It seems almost like it's part of the culture of some southern music. At least that's how I interpret it.

17. P. Aaron

Some Florida-Georgia Line stuff is tuned down a 1/2 step from B. Specifically; Cruise and Sippin' On Fire

Dogbertday likes this.
  18. P. Aaron

The guy in Kenny Chesney's band kills on a Bongo 5'er.

sonicnuance likes this.
  19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    In preparation to move into more country gigs, last year I got a '96 Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5 w/Sadowsky preamp. Amazing tone, perfect for country. It has become my favorite bass, and my first five string. But I'm interested in opinions about what the best type of strings are for a country fiver. I have been using Fender nickel-plated steel tapewounds. Recently I tried Sadowsky flatwounds and was blown away by their articulation, tone and "bigness." What are the pros and cons of rounds vs. flats for country? Are there particular issues that are different for live gigs vs. recording? I like the fuller range of tone with rounds, but the flats sound more authoritative and beefy. All depends on the type of music and mix, I suppose? Two gigs coming up are mainly classic country, outlaw and honky tonk w/a 7-piece band. Don't mean to hijack the OP, but it seems like strings have a pretty big influence on what people will hear. Thank you.

20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    dude, sometimes I bring a PS Rockband controller to play synth bass on...it has a MIDI out and works beautifully MIDId into my Yamaha MM6 that I always have on stage...and its funny as hell when a few folks realize what it is :D...the best part is that you can pick these up for next to nothing these days (I got two of them I bought NEW for $20 each and it comes with a strap)

61Ic-jXveSL._SX385_.
    Mad-Catz-Rock-Band-3-Wireless-Keyboard-Controller.

FlatwoundFunk and RichSnyder like this.