Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass for my needs... big bucks range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, May 21, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I'm actually looking for a bass that fits my needs perfectly. I have a good budget.
    The bass must have a great slap sound and a great solo voice... I usually use Clarke's solo technique...
    I was obviously thinking about getting an Alembic, but since I'm going to spend big bucks, I would really appreciate your councils.
    If you know an on-line shop where I can find a good deal, please write the URL...
    My luthier talks very well about Wal basses, but I'm not sure I understand their features... are MachI and others different only in the shape?
    Thanx a lot!!!

:cool:

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Why not get your luthier to make you one that has all the features you need!!!! I'm sure he'd be happy to help and also to relieve you of your big bucks!!!!

Just a thought!:)

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you are from italy, so i higly suggest to check this luthier. he's a friend of mine and he makes great basses. the website is under construction, take a look and you'll find some pics. more to come. he'll be pleased to let you play his creations!

you can contact him at rashguitars@inwind.it
    the website is: www.rashguitars.it

let me know!!

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I think that the basses of my luthier are probably the best... but I cannot wait!
    Where could I get an used Alembic bass for a good price?

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, these basses look great, but to be truthful I don't like them... and if I should get a custom bass, I would get it from my luthier (who worked for Warwick... and builds great basses). Besides his prices are really low... but I don't wanna wait for the bass.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you don't want to wait.
    you have big money.
    you don't like RASH basses.

the answers to your questions are located here:

www.sadowsky.com

otherwise

www.lakland.com

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I forgot to say that I HATE Fenderish basses! :D
    I don't think these basses would fit my needs... :rolleyes:

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if you hate fender style intruments i am afraid that we don't have nothing to speak about. :(

9. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Don't get me wrong: I LIKE real Fender basses, but I don't like custom basses with Fender shape!

10. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    hey dread, who is your luthier friend?

11. How about an F Bass. They have awesome slap tone. Don't know too much about how they are for soloing, though, as I tend to stay away from that stuff.

Geoff

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Sorry, I'm not 100% sure that I can tell his name.
    He revealed a lot of bad things about late Warwick basses... I don't wanna get the responsibility of telling this in public... sorry! :(

13. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I've never played an F... but I guess they are very good instruments. The only thing I don't like about them is the number of frets... I would prefer to have at least 24 frets.

14. I am not sure if you are planning on getting a 4 string or what, but the 6 string F basses come with 24 frets. I have also seen 5s and 6s with 28 fret fretted boards, so you could probably get 24 on a 4 as well.

Just a thought.

Geoff

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I'm looking for a serious 4 strings... do you think I could get an used one with 28 frets?

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you're willing to consider a fretless 5, bassalone.com in San Diego has an amazing Alembic for sale. I've played it and can vouch for it. Side LED's, custom all the way. Ask for John. You can email him at bassalone@earthlink.net.

17. Dread,
    I second the thought for an F bass. I have a BN6 and an Alain Caron 6 and they are incredible instruments. The Caron 6 has 28 "frets" and my BN6 has 24. Amazing versatility, amazing sound, amazing playability & comfort. If you're not too sure, buy some Alain Caron CDs and listen to his sound--F bass with slap, fingerstyle, fretless grooves and melodies/solos. Better yet, if you got the big bucks, fly to Ontario, Canada and visit George personally. I'm sure he may have a bass or two laying around you could buy on the spot.

18. [dfire]knight

[dfire]knight

Mar 30, 2002
    bend, or
    www.bassnw.com has used and new basses. but i dont know how much shipping is to italy.

19. Not, because I have two of them, but if you want to spend money, buy a Ritter!
    Get one with Tremolo! Jens Ritter developed his own Tremolo System, that is far better than Kahlers.

have a look here: Ritter Basses

20. Yes, the only real difference between the Wal Mach I, II, and III is the shape, and the fact that the Mach I has 21 frets while the Mach II and III have 24.

Wals are a bit like Alembics in that they use lowpass filters for EQ, have built-in XLR outputs, and are made of fancy woods. Construction a quality is excellent. The sound is really not that much like Alembic, though.

Mike