Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass For Punk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xofnahtan, Jan 13, 2006.

1. I'm looking to buy a new bass and I'm wanting that has more of a twangy punk tone. Now I know alot of the tone is from the amp, but I also know that your basses matters quite a bit too. So I guess I'm asking what the best basses are for that kind of tone?

I already tried a Fender Jazz bass and it sounded pretty good but I want to know what I have to work with before I decide.

Thanks,
    Nathan

2. Use the search function!
    I'd suggest a stingray for twangy punk and a P with maple fretboard for less twangy punk.

3. As Link mentioned, search...

To simplify life for those who may ask again later, here's my take on it:

Matt Freeman of Rancid predominantly uses (to the best of my knowledge, having seen them too many times) Fender Precisions strung with DR's. He also picks rather aggressively with the tone on full, and with a rather high action.

Fat Mike of NOFX also used to use a Precision. Last I saw of him, he was messing with Dan Electros.

Matt Destruction of The Hives used to use a Rickenbacker, then a Telecaster, and now, I think he alternates between a Telecaster and a Precision.

Andrew from Against Me! uses a Precision as well to the best of my knowledge. At least he was last time I saw'em.

See a trend??

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Another vote for the P-Bass.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    P + J, SD quater pounders, and a some cheap whisky before a show.

6. P basses have a great fat and punky tone. If you kinda like that, some punk bassists tend to favor a thinner, more trebley tone... some bassists which come to mind are AFI's Hunter and the bassist of Alkaline Trio, both of which use Jazz basses. Generally, a P or J should do the trick pretty well.

7. The most punk bass must be an Alembic with lots of stickers on it ;)

8. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    I play excusively punk, and the first banged up bass I could find at a pawn shop suits me great. It's a Peavey Milestone 1 and I don't see needing another bass anytime in the near future.

9. P

10. Last time i saw nofx im sure mike had a stingray

Its punk, anything will sound fine for it ;)

Best all round basses for punk are probably anything with a MM style pup, like a stingray, or anything with a P/J pickup setup

11. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    matt freeman plays a 78 jazz bass he doesnt play his p anymore.my vote goes for jazz bass.
    www.myspace.com/thechallenged
    the last breed of a dying brooklyn intense pop punk....

12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    To me the classic punk bass has to be a P bass with a pick.

13. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    matt said in an interview that he uses both p along with jazz basses.

14. He has a 74 (i think) P bass, maybe earlier, that he uses for recording, he used to tour with it but the neck warped and was replaced

15. I think the most punk bass will be the cheapest one you can get with dead strings. And stickers.:D

16. I'd say get a P and play with a pick at the bridge.

17. Another vote for the P bass.

18. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Instead of trying to figure out what other people do, which is completely unpunk, why don't you find something on your own.

If you look at the bass sounds of these bands you can't find a single common thread.

Minutemen Mike Watt, (tele bass, ebo, etc.)
    Ramones Dee Dee Ramone pbass completely unorthodox style of playing.
    Turbonegro Happy Tom pbass, but uses a firebird as well

All of these bass players are unique. They don't play the same or sound the same. I play a 54 p or tele bass with the mids boosted to the extreme so it'll sound like a Rick.

Use what you like. Don't be a cookie cutter image of a cookie cutter band. Look at bands like Rancid and NOFX. Both those bands would totallly say they are slaves to their influences. Rancid, Clash, Toy Dolls, Chelsea, etc. NOFX Dickies, DI, Bad Religon, etc.

Find something you like that makes you stand out. Taking the easy way out is a cop out.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The CORRECT answer to this questions is, whatever makes noise. That is, if you mean REAL punk.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Basses aren't punk.

Players are.

Punk shouldn't be about 'rules' or 'image' although that seems to have been lost over the years...well, Ok, it's always been about image.

Buy and play whatever feels good and has a sound that makes you happy.