Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass for r&b

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_ego, Nov 18, 2004.

1. the_ego

the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    hello folks! well...i'm plaing bass for 1 year...i've got a ****ty bass..and I produce a lot... i'm intro r&b right now...and i make some funky music aswell... i need help to chose wich bass is correct for me... i've thought bout fender... dunno if a jazz bass o r a p-bass... or maybe another brand..you guide me please!

thanks in advance!

Diego

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    For R&B a Fender jazz would do fine.

3. 90% of R&B out there is done with a freakin P.. its crazy how these guys(producers) manipulate the good 'ol P..

if you want more versatility.. go with Lakland 44/55-02

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    For some good old school R&B vibe, I would stick with a Fender P. Think of James Jamerson and you'll be there.

For funk I would much prefer a Jazz type bass, but you could get it done with a P bass. Think of Larry Graham and you'll be there.

5. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
  6. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I lnow it's no help, but really, what ever bass you like playing.

7. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Oh sure, throw logic into this.

8. Fender P or J or Special P (P/J).

G&Ls too.

Import Laklands- of P or J or P/J.

edit: and michael tobias deisgns. yeah that vintage looking one is cool and good for the coin. awesome styling.

all grooveable. all slap happy. all cool.

9. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    +1

10. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    lol,

I agree with Rowka...i've heard some funky stuff with Fenders,Stingrays,Growlers,Warwicks,Dingwalls....it goes on and on..

11. Sadowsky - Fender - Smith - Lakland

You get the idea.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    As folks above have noted, anything that tends to have traditional, passive P or J pickups. Active or passive electronics doesn't matter. The exception is the Ken Smith, which has a very mellow soapbar.

I'd stay away from anything with active pickups. Most R and B comes to us from basses with the traditional-style construction. Though there ARE cats doing their own thing. Man, just find some bass that feels all right and do your thing.

13. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    ... or any others that haven't been mentioned...

Find the sound you want, then you can find the right rig to give it to you. It's NOT just the bass, but the combination of bass & amp. You can have a great bass & a cheapo amp & still be dis-satisfied.....

Good luck!!

14. A Fender Jazz, or Precision strung with flatwounds. :bassist:

Mike ;)

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Old School R&B- P-Bass
    slap/funk-Jazz Bass (Sadowsky, Lakland etc.
    "modern"-Ken Smith MTD

16. the_ego

the_ego

Nov 18, 2004
    nice guys...i've got a very nice response of you thansk to all... well..i'm a bit lost.. I live in Chile...south america...and here the stores are crap..u just find tratitional stuff... warwick..fender..ibanez and that stuf..
    i've never seen a Lakland and a ken smith...i'll try to give it a look somehow... well i'm looking to make some hip hop and r&b stuff like... and record it in my home studio..actualy i'm not thinking about an amp... so i think i gotta go for a nice preamp or an active bass :)
    thank you all!

ahh another question... the p/j is active?

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Perfect picks!

18. my personal opinion is that no genre has a specific bass that fits it best. its all about how you play, your amp, setup, etc etc etc. bass is just one of many factors involved. with that being said, i agree with whoever said "the one you like playing"

19. rickenbacker

just kidding.