Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass for rock music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emissary, Jan 31, 2005.

1. emissary

emissary

Jan 22, 2005
    what do you think is the best bass for rock music?..everything from creed to slipknot...so i guess the most versatile rock and roll bass?

2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I am a fender type guy, but I think the Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray might be something to look at. (They are not my personal preference, though..the Jazz bass is what I use for Rock)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There really is no best bass.

The Fender Precision bass has been around for over 50 years, and has been used on more #1 hits than any other bass. It is a great fingerstyle funk and rock bass.

The Fender Jazz bass is another classic, and has one of the best slap tones around.

The MusicMan Stingray is yet another classic, and is also a great slap bass.
    Then you get into five stringers, etc. Brands like Lakland, Pedulla, Zon, Spector, and a hundred more.

4. My vote goes to the Rickenbacker!

Paul McCartney, Lemmy, Geddy, Chris Squire, Pete Trewavas, and lots of others!

There something about the "clanky" sound in the Rickenbacker that I love. And spiced with some overdrive, pedal or a nice Ampeg head, it is the ultimate rock sound, IMO!

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Theres definately no "best rock bass" you have to just go to your music stoor and see what you like the best.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
  7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    When I think ROCK, I think DAISY ROCK!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

EDIT: Now that I look at them, they do look kinda cool... :p

8. i've never payed one,but i hear the Music ManBongoworks for everything... The Sterling is a good one that I have played, and it is an awsome bass, but not as versatile as people say I dont think, it just works for most types, I also prefer the Sterling to the Ray. If you have the oppertunity to try a Bongo I would suggest it, they are supposed to have an AWSOME deep bottom end, which is something I love... Gotta feel the bass through the other instruments, or you can turn the bass boost down, and play the bridge pickup and get a relative Ray cut sound.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO there's too many great basses to list. I agree with the advice that you try out as many different basses as you can get your hands on. When I'm asked this question, my reply is: "Fender Precision", but that's just my opinion. What works for me may not have the sound you want.

My short list:
    Fender
    Spector
    MusicMan

Happy Hunting.
    -Art

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    "Best Bass" for whom? :confused: Every one of us here would come up with something different. Most of the basses out there are pretty versitile. From a Rogue/Essex/Musicman/Fender. How much do you want to spend and what bass plays well within your price range? You have to make the choice by the way you play as much as what you play. GOOD LUCK

11. i'm gonig to go out on a limb and say that light blue daisy rock hollow-body looks pretty cool, except the colour.
    i'm going to vote for a jazz with dimarzio model j's or jazz wired in series, or better yet, a thunderbird/explorer

12. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    It truly is difficult to argue that point.

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Is this going to be for you?? I'd recommend you try a P bass special.

[​IMG]

14. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Got one of these puppies myself. Love the feel of the neck. I changed the p-ups (EMG) put a Badd Ass II Bridge on it, great up grades. :bassist:

15. It's all my humble opinion.... :smug:

I also love the sound of a MIA P-bass played with a pick near the bridge.

So I guess I would recommend to try out a P-bass and a Rick, and see for yourself!

16. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Best bass for rock: Engelhardt

:bassist:

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I like them too. They make me feel pretty :help:

18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,

Ah, a rockabilly bassist, then?

I would have to say the KING SLAPBASS rocks!!

I almost forgot, in my rush to say STINGRAY!, I forgot the mighty RIC..which is pretty much made for rock and roll.

I second that!

19. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    :smug:

20. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The best bass for all types of music is the Fender P-Bass. You can make it sound any way you want by just turning the tone knob back and forth and by varying the place on the strings where you pluck. This may not be true if you plan on slapping, smacking, tapping or whacking your bass. In that case, get an Ibanez. :eyebrow: :eek: