best bass for rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nastyn8c, Feb 27, 2005.

1. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I currently play an Lakland 55-94, but I am looking for something cheaper that still rocks. I need something that is versatile like the 55-94, because I play jazz, classic rock, and pop as well, but is a little better suited for rock than the 55-94. I am not really concerned with output level as long as it is an active bass (with my amp set at lower than ideal gain, the Lakland has to be down at 1/2 of its max volume). C-shape neck is a preference for me. Most important tonal quality: a lot of bass.

My budget is $800 - $1500 used. The main thing that came to my mind was the EB/MM Stingray 5 piezo.

And since I just became a supporting member, I am going to exercise my new right to post classifieds!
    The Lakland is for sale: serial #5084, flame maple top, cherry sunburst, maple fingerboard.
    $1600 or best offer + shipping
    Please E-mail me if interested, and I will have pics soon:
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    You might have better luck selling your Lakland if you make a post about it in the Classifieds: For Sale forum. :)
  3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    well Stingrays are great, and you'll probably like their sound alot, I know I do...but you just need to get out there and try everything you can get your hands on and see what suits your own style and tastes. Myself and anyone else can recommend basses till we're blue in the face, but that doesnt mean that you'll like 'em. so that said, my favorite: a wenge necked Warwick.

Also, Please post your classified ads in the classified ad section once you're membership is upgraded, otherwise, everyone and their mom will come in here to taunt you about it.

and last but not least, Welcome to TalkBass, :D
  4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I wouldn't try to talk you out of selling your Lakland if you aren't happy with it, but if you told us what about it you didn't like, and what type of sound you were looking for, it would be easier to suggest something to check out.

When you say "rocks," if you mean a more aggressive tone, you may want to think about trying out a set of SD Basslines in that Lakland if you are otherwise happy with the bass.
    I found the difference between the Barts and the Basslines in those basses to be like night and day.
  5. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    What I am not happy with in the Lakland: nothing, but I feel that it is a little bit much money for a 16 year old like me. If anything, it's that the tone isn't as aggressive as I would like.
    I don't want to change the pickups in mine because that just means spending more money.
    According to this, the Duncans are a lot like an SR5 anyway, so I might go that route (cheaper):
  6. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    The Duncans can give you a close Stingray sound, but not exact - the Stingray guys here can give you more on that than I could.
    But as a tradeoff for that, the Lakland will offer more tonal options because of the MM/J configuration. It all depends on the sound you're going after and what feels & sounds right to you.

It's not quite the same as my Wal, but I'd put the Laklands w/Duncans I've had up against almost anything for aggressive tone.
    Just my slightly biased opinion. ;)
  7. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    P-bass. Set up the right way. Rock all the way. You will kick yourself in a couple of years is you sell that Lakland. And welcome to the show BTW. :bassist:
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    When he says "Rawks!!!!!" He means something that doesnt "Suxxorz!"

9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had a 55-94 I think, a few years back. It was an outstanding bass. BUT....... It's not a rock and roll bass. It is better suited for country/blues, etc. Find a Spector Euro. I see a lot of Ibanezs used for rock.
  10. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    as for a rock bass...thast up to you and what you LIKE. any bass can be a rock bass if you haev teh right equipment. Do nt go buy somthing casue so an so has it. Buy it casue its what you love to play...
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Definately a P bass will work for all around rock, especially when overdriven, like in this clip here.
  12. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
  13. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Don't rule out the updated Fender American Deluxe series....or the G&L American series.

I own an American Jazz Deluxe V...awesome bass. I play fingerstyle rock, punk, alterna rock and a little metal sometimes. This is my primary.

I own a Trib L2K. I'd have to say one of the best import 5 strings out there. This was just recently replaced by my JazzV as my primary. Great import.

Both are great rock basses and I can only think the American G&L would be that much better than the Tributes.

14. jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
  15. Fender P basses :smug:
    Yamaha RBX374 and 375
    and others
  16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Or maybe...

A Warwick Corvette Standard 5
    an MTD Heir 5
    a Lakland 55-02
    or a Lakland 55-01
  18. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    What about a Zon Sonus Special or Warwick Thumb 5 BO? I am basically looking at a choice of one or the other. I will be able to play the Zon before I buy but not the Warwick.
    One more thing:

Originally Posted by Larzon
    "The Thumb - Too neck heavy! The TONE is tremendous! It's soo Punchy, growly, tight, warm, clear, powerful...especially the low midrange and the low end. Even the highs is brilliant that never become obtrusive. The Thumb is more a fingerstyle Bass, but you can get a nice slap on it too."

If anyone agrees, I think the Warwick is what I am looking for.
  19. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you go for the Thumb, you can find quite a few of them on the used market for sweet prices. Why? Because people tend to fall in love with the tone initially, but fall out of love with the backbreaking weight (those puppies are heavy.) Those dense African hardwoods like wenge, ovangkol, and bubinga aren't like lighter weight tonewoods such as swamp ash or alder.

So if you do give a Thumb a workout, keep it strapped on for a good long time and see how your back and shoulder feels afterward.

I think Thumbs have phenomenal tone, but I like to move around and dance a lot on stage and I can't dance around as comfortably with a heavy bruiser like the Thumb.