Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass for rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ka_Ve_86, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Im looking for a new bass, but i totally dont know what to get i play alot of alternative so i want something with a really nice tone for finger style.
    But also i love to play funk sometimes aswell.

But i only have about $1000 to spend

Any suggestions

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Lakland Darryl Jones. Lakland 4402 or 5502. Rickenbacker 4003. Fender Precision. Musicman Stingray. The list for good rock basses is almost endless. Can you be more specific about what type of tone you want? Perhaps some examples on known recordings of tones you dig?

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    really, there is no answer for that, the real thing is to go to your local music store and try different basses

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $1000 australian, to keep in mind.

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It might be better to ask which bass isn't suggested for rock. But what type of rock?

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Really. If there were a "best", everyone would play it and there wouldn't be so much to choose from.

7. I'd rather not generalize, but in this situation I'll make an exception.

For all-purpose music, it is always safe to go with a Musicman Sting Ray/Sterling.

If you want something that gives a more aggressive aesthetic, check out the Fender Geddy Lee signature, which really receives high praise on this board.

8. i say get a j bass and hot rod the hell out of it. then again, nothing beats going to your nearest instrument shop and picking out whatever feels best to you.

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
  10. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Precision bass, case closed.

11. tangobass

tangobass

Jan 15, 2005
    Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string,full round sound.

12. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    I suppose you mean you like to slap sometimes? I ask because playing "funk" is by no means mutually exclusive to finger style. For that matter, nor is slapping necessarily funky. (For proof of the latter, one only need to listen to me try to slap/funk. :scowl: )

That being said, if you ask the vague question: "What bass is good for X?" Then a legitimate answer will always be, "Fender Precision or Jazz," where X = any type of music.

As others have remarked, you need to be more specific about the type of tone you want or style you play to get more specific recommendations.

Finally, I think $1000 (at least in U.S. dollars) can get you a mighty fine bass.

13. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Jun 18, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Second hand Jazz. There's a big difference between what you can buy with $1000AUS in Oz and and $1000AUS in the States.

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Jazz, Precision, or Stingray can cover pretty much whatever you want.

15. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    a gibson thunderbird is rawk! and sounds very heavy and big..
    but it's not a fender..
    If i was only playing rock with a pick and not any funk or fingerplaying whatsoever i'd ONLY play gibson t-birds..
    it's the most awesome rockbass ever.. but watch out..it takes time before you learn to avoid the neckdive..

i think i have to buy myself a tbird again..

16. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Ibanez SRX500 for about $500. Put the rest of the money into your rig.

[​IMG]

17. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Heads Up, $1000AUD = about $755 USD!

At that price range a Musicman, Rickenbacker, or any other higher end basses are out. Check out the Fender Precision, Fender Jazz, the lower end SoundGear from Ibanez, and most of whats made by Schecter.

Its been said here a 1,000 times, "you got to go and try em". But not everybody has access to all these different basses to try out. I would recommend a Fender Jazz in that range, but thats just my preference. Its the standard and easy to upgrade.

But the Soundgear basses are great too, has a thin neck, and easier to play IMO than most others. The Schecters are great looking, and IMO the nicest you will find in your price range with a neck through design.

18. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Ok, then, snag an SRX500 used for $300 and spend the $445 on your rig. :p

19. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    The one you like-
    Practically any bass can be used for rock.

Just go try them out and see which one speaks to you.

20. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Consider a Fender Jazz, the "60's" model is in your price range and has really good pickups. a 5 string deluxe w/active pickups is also a good bet. For general Rock, my number one suggestion would be a used US or Japanese P-Bass.

You Should really post what kind of rock you want to play.