best bass for ska$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duct_tape, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Hello every one I have an essex bass and was wondering what a good bass for ska? but it cant realy be over 500 dollars or should i just upgrade my essex? any help would be apreciated
  2. Well... Hmm... It all really depends. I would say probably a Fender Jazz Or a MM Stingray. Anything with good midrange tones will work. It all depends on if you're playing goldfinger type ska-punk or more reggae Too-tone. Personally, I have a MIM Active Jazz and I LOVE the tone I can get from it. Just my $.02.

3. then couldnt i just upgrade my pickups and stuff?
  4. I suppose, but im not really familiar (sp? I hate this word) with SX basses. What type of Ska are you playing, homey?

Leroy The White Guyy
  5. like punk ska (well i wana right now theres not alot of people wana play ska here) so reah like punk ska pretty much
  6. Punk-ska I.E. Less Than Jake? Link 80? Goldfinger? Give me an idear
  7. AHA, you would probably want an MM. Their bass player plays a rad MM 5.

8. alright got a link to on eof these mm?
    uz i have no idea what that is
  9. arent there any cheaper basses like that? like carvin or something? oh and onthore quick question how old do u have to be to donate plasma?
  10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What do you dislike about your tone or how are you trying to differ from your current one?

Oh, It would have been a lot cooler if you wrote "best bass for $ka".
  11. yeah but then i might sennd out he wrong idea that i am cool wich i dont wana be i dont know i was just thinking about upgrading my pickups and and strings to flat wounds but i dont know i guess ill go the cheaper way
  12. Sure, there are a lot of basses with that pick up configuration, cheaper, as well as more expensive, than the Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray. A bass to try, if you happen to be sold on Stingrays but haven't got enough dough for one, might be the made in China, licensed by EB, OLP bass. Looks just like a Stingray, and feels quite close to one if you take the difference in price into account. Don't know how they sound though, but do a search. They've been talked about every now and then in this forum. And, if you buy one of those, you will still have some money left to upgrade you SX with new pick ups and to fit it with a set of flatwounds. Might I be the first to recommend you to try Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats? They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny.
    Good luck.
  13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Through the miracle of search engines I saw this:
    You must be at least 17 years old (there is no maximum age limit), in good health, weigh a minimum of 135 pounds, and be free of cold or flu symptoms.

Just go to and type donate plasma

Note: Others require the minimum age to be 18. So It´s 17-18 I guess.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think your essex is a good bass. from what I hear better than many basses 2 or 3x its price.. however.. I looked the the TB for sale ads and found an MTD Kingston in your price range.. I don't know if the guy still has it but its worth e-mailing him.. I don't know him nor have I ever talked to him.. just thought it would interest you
  15. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    The best punk/ska bassist ever (the Suicide Machines guy - the first two CDs KICKED, the newest one sucks) plays a Fender P-Bass.

16. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive seen pic of him life with a J-Bass.

I would personally go for a J.