Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass for slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvoMan, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Anyone have an opinion on the best slap bass? I have a Zon and it is among the best I have tried (though the Legacy Elite model I had was better than the one I have now), but I don't get to try a lot of different models around here.

2. My Spector Rex is a pretty good bass for slap. The action is just right in my opinion. Lower than my Fender Jazz, but still high enough to get under the strings. Of course, some people prefer very low action for slap.

3. in my opinion, warwick is the way to go for slapping. it just sounds right.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are a lot of good slap basses out there. Modulus Q, Fender Jazz, Stingray, Warwick, etc.

The best I have found? Peavey Cirrus. I have never played or heard a bass with a better slap tone than a Cirrus. Mine has the most amazing slap tone that I find myself slapping things on it that shouldn't be slapped.

Maybe I should be slapped.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think that warwicks basses and cirruses/kensmith big soapbar basses both sound great for slap, but sound REALLY different. the warwick has more of an attack to the note whereas the cirrus has more of a booty...i guess?

in fact, the only bass i've played (over $500) that i thought didn't sound good for slap was a p-bass. if your technique is there, almost anything will sound good.

go play lots of stuff and get back to us :)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Most semi hollows sound poor when slapped. And what about Gibson EB's? Any of them.

7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
  8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Agreed. You can pretty much slap any solidbody instrument. Many basses sold or marketed as slappers have an ash body and maple fretboard, both of which enhance top-end.

P-basses, Gibson EBs and any single-pickup-in-the-neck-position bass won't sound as good though.

9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Lakland with maple fingerboard.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  10. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Marcus Miller formula: Ash-bodied bass, with a J-bass pickup config (both pickups on or close to full-on), maple fretboard, roundwound strings, and a good active preamp.

D7

11. hmm, the reason i like the warwick slap sound is that it doesn't have much top-end, and more of an emphasis on low mids. i'm not a big fan of the stingray/jazz slap sound. for pick or fingerstyle i would characterize those basses as "aggressive" which i like, a lot - but when slapping, that sound becomes "harsh," IMO. i think i like the warwick sound because it's percussive and burbly, if you know what i mean.

12. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I own a MM Sterling and it doesn't sound as i'd like it to sound when I slap... You should test the Roscoe Beck signature.. Fantastic for slapping!!

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    LOL! as soon as i hit post i thought: "Crap, wait what about Gibsons! :D "

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    fender jazz bass (the marcus miller...)

15. Hey guys... I just slapped Embellisher.

Know what he sounded like?

A Stingray.

:D

(No offense to Embellisher, I'd never slap him, he's cool)

:cool:

16. I've tried Warwicks and was not impressed. What about Pedulla basses for slap? I've played the MVP 4 string and it sounds great. I've heard that some of the Warrior basses are nice for slap. Anyone agree?

I used to love the old Steinberger solid composite basses for slap, but now find the sound a bit thin. I've always pictured Alembics as good slap basses, probably since Mark King always played one. I would like to pick up another bass and am just surfing for suggestions. My Zon is a pretty nice slap bass, but the low end is a bit think and the neck is huge.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    there are so many basses that are good for slap..

Fodera
    Sadowsky
    MTD
    Lakland
    pedulla
    warwick
    musicman
    Fender jazz

and my personal Fav. Elrick basses.. this is the only bass I use now and it rocks on slap and fingerstyle IMO

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Jazz I just sold seemed to have the perfect combo to it: ash body, maple fretboard.

An absolute killer modern slapper is my Spector NS4. Very 'in your face'.

19. Any opinion on scale lengths and neck widths? I have a 34" neck on my current bass and it gives a good string tension for slap, but the neck feels a bit long. I have heard that shorter necks don't sound as good, but I would guess that the action is better on a 32". I've also noticed that the Stanley Clark Alembics have a really short neck, and I assume that he used that same model for his slap sound.