Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass for small person?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nifaron, Dec 16, 2002.

1. nifaron

nifaron

Dec 16, 2002
    I'm looking for a bass for my wife to play... she is just starting to play and needs something that is solid and plays well, but is light and fits her small hands and frame... we'd like to stay away from the 30" scale models, and the sustain is pretty poor... any good ideas? please e-mail: aaron@avweb.net

thanks! take care...
    Aaron. :)

2. nifaron

nifaron

Dec 16, 2002
    Thoughts on that one?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Rumor is nice and light. An Ibanez Soundgear 4 would be a good choice too.

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Ibanez Soundgear basses have smaller bodies and a really thin neck. That's what I would suggest.

--Matthew

5. Hohner B2A/Steinberger Spirit.
    6 1/2 lbs, J bass nut width.

6. Reverend Rumblefish...narrow Jazz Bass neck dimensions, downsized semi-hollow body.

7. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    1st edition Dano DC bass! 32" scale, nice small light body, great tone, in my opinion. If the website is to be trusted, newer ones have a 34" scale...

8. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
  9. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    You cannot be serious. Who would want a guitar shaped like a flower or a heart?

10. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
  11. Fender Stu Hamm 32inch scale bass.

12. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    i think they are hilarious. i also think, if you are a decent player and have a few hundred to throw away, it would be great to take the stage and then amaze people just as they are about to say how "gay" it is.

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Me. Any other questions?

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love my Daisy.

15. punk in drublic

punk in drublic

Sep 18, 2002
    Dano DC. Light, looks cool, sounds awesome, nuff said!!

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    BassLab, of course.

Actually, it's about attitude. Meaning the angle of the neck vs horisontal. The bigger that angle, the less does the bass size matter.
    Very many small ladies, and I'm talking 150cm/5ft, play double bass. Size 3/4 or 7/8! Scale >40"!
    Both in classic and modern bands.

If bassguitar is the aim, look for some light stuff, that can be lifted to a big angle.
    It may need some adjustment, like central strap button, or so.

17. Hofner club bass, 32 inch scale, light, well made, neat sound.

18. nifaron

nifaron

Dec 16, 2002
    thanks everyone for all your help... thoughts on the OLP MM2?

thanks!

Aaron. :)

19. I'm 5 ' tall, 115 pounds and have been playing for 6 months. Both of my basses were just regular, ordinary sized. The first was an Ibanez GSR-200 and my new one is apparently a prototype made by a German company that decided not to produce them, so you've never heard of it, but it's the same size and weighs about 10 pounds.

The size of the bass wasn't an issue at all for me. The strap was, however. I had to remove essentially all of the webbing from the shoulder side (including the buckle--it's now not adjustable on that side), plus about 10" from the other side. I had it done at a shoe repair shop for about $10. Of course, if your wife can play with it at her knees, this won't be an issue!