1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best bass for under 1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by happychicken, Jan 26, 2012.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi everyone was so helpful in the last thread i feel i need to beg for a little more knowledge. I mainly play bass for church which would be contemporary christian music and hymns. I would like to get the best bass for under 1200 bucks for this application. That being said i would also like to learn slap but that is secondary in the application of this bass if possible. I have been looking very hard at a USA made peavey cirrus. It has a really low action which I like. One thing I already have a mim fender jazz bass and I really do not want another fender if possible. Unless there is one with a low action that will absolutely stomp my MIM. Thanks for any input!!!

2. They don't come up for sale very often on TB but my Dingwall Combustion is a great player with vary response active EQ on. The last ones I saw for sale here were in the $900-$1000 range. Don't let the look of the fanned frets fool you or think you will have trouble adapting to them. Every body I've handed my Combustion to for them to try out have been reluctant to hand it back over.

3. My MIJ Marcus Miller Jazz has great low action, and plays like a dream. They have techs at the three main music stores I buy from, and if the action is too high they adjust it to my tastes. It's a $1000 bass. Take your MIM to a good tech and it may be just what you're looking for.

4. Wow. I am a recent proud owner of a Dingwall Combustion and I play it in my Praise Band. The fanned frets are easy to get used to and the B string is amazing. I paid less than 1200 but that is about what you can expect to pay for a new one. I really like it.

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Cirrus is very nice & will meet your need. Have you played one or only looking through the interwebs?
    My Fender Sting will stomp a Jazz. Skyline Duck Dunn. God loves Precisions. Big, warm, fills the room. Like having a fireplace!

6. :)

7. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    +1. The Marcus fits what you're describing perfectly. It's one of the best basses to slap on, IMO, and is so, so, so smooth. Which I think is great for worship music.

8. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    MIA P-bass 08+

9. If you really don't want another Fender, I don't think you could go wrong with the Cirrus. They're really nice basses and can get some of the lowest action out there.

10. Used AV62 Jazz.

Lifetime bass.

11. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Amen. I am trading out my DJ4 for a Lakland Bob Glaub. Putting the...P in praise? Ha

I have been a jazz bass guy for a long time. But at 10+ years of playing them, I'm ready to move on. Sorry, jazz bass, it's not you. It's me. And it's that I don't like you like I used to.

So what I'm saying is, yes. Get a Skyline P of some type. Now.

12. Stingray?