Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass for under 250? nm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tsaig, Nov 11, 2004.

1. tsaig

tsaig

Nov 11, 2004
    yeah...i'm gettin a new bass..new player...just wondering whats the best for under 250

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    SX, Ibanez ATK 100, Epiphone Rock Bass, used Fender MIM, Ibanez GSR 200, and the list goes on and on.

3. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    It'd be helpful to know what kind of music you're interested in playing, and if you're willing to buy used or want something new, etc.

For $250 you have a lot of options; you can pick up a good starter bass for half that.

4. Go to the threads on the essex basses at rondo music. your best bet for the coin. 139 will get you a good bass + 30 for gig bag. Then pay to get it professionally set up at your local store. You'll have change left over for other stuff.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

$139 - An SX from Rondo
    $200 - An Ibanez GSR200, one of the new ones with the preamp

$250? There are tons of options on the used market for $250.

If I had $250 to spend, I would go to every local music store that sells used stuff, and play everything they have. Chances are, there is something used out there that is better than the SX or the Ibanez.

6. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Hmm, too bad this came a little late, I just sold a 4 string toby pro for around 250. It was a little scarred but perfectly playable.

I didn't like it, but much more so than the cheap ibanez and fender clones out there.

Troll

7. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I was in this same situation, and since there was no definitive answer, I just went into the store with a bit of an education from these forums. The Ibanez GSR200 is recommended a lot here, but IMO it felt really cheap, and just wasn't for me. I'd look at the other threads here to see what brands and models are thrown around and what the consensus is on them, and then try out everything you can afford.

8. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    There is a Brawley 4-string up on eBay right now. Natural finish, 3-band active EQ. I have a 5-string version of this bass, and it is better than anything you can get for twice the price. My modest self recommends this as the best deal possible.