Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass for under $250

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ineedanewbass, Dec 25, 2002.

what is the best bass under $250

Poll closed Sep 27, 2003.
  1. Krame Focus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kramer Beretta

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Squire Jazz bass

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Essex of any sort

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  5. OLP MM3

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. OLP 5 string(forgot the name)

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  7. Rogue of any sort

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. ESP B-50

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. Drive PB 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Drive JB 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I was wondering what you people think is the best bass for under $250 since i plan on buying one soon. If one of the basses arent listed, feel free to add you own. Comments would be appreciated

2. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    I just bought a 80's vintage MIA Peavey Foundation off of eBay for under $250. It's rock-solid, straight, and plays and sounds good. No, it's not a high-end instrument, but IMO it's a step above a Squire.

-Sinker-

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    You'll definitely get a much better bass in that price range if you go the used route. For new ones, this webpage gives the "Top 5" starter basses that would probably be in that price range. Not sure who rated them of if they even know what they're talking about:

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aatp031402.htm

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Peavey Foundation - "a step above a Squier". What an understatement. I'd say about 50 steps, and Squiers can be pretty good!

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Keep an eye on the scratch-and-dent section of MusicYo.com for a Steinberger Spirit XZ2. Even new first quality they're only $280, and they have free shipping right now. A really nice bass for the bucks.

MusicYo ZX Series Page

[​IMG]

6. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    Okay, I was being polite. Thanks for the endorsement!

-Sinker-

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. if you are talking about buying a bass brand new, i think the essex basses are the best deal for under $250

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Agreed. I love my Essex Jazz. Also, avoid Rogue (and Samick) if possible. And I've never even heard of a Drive. :confused:

9. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I tried an OLP MM clone fiver and was VERY impressed. A vert good feeling instrument. I bet with a Seymoure duncan or Bart pickup and pre it would be killer.

10. I too have tried the OLP 4 and 5 stringer.. I thought they were rather nice for the money. I would have bought one, but I already have a MM Stingray...I played a Squier P-bass Special that sounded and played just fine for the price....Essex they look ok, but I havent had chance to try one out yet..that sprit XZ2 looks cool...

Fetch!

11. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    Yamaha makes the best cheap instruments.

12. drivers

drivers

Dec 4, 2002
    I haven't really tried any other basses, so I can't say if the others mentioned are better, but I really like my Ibanez GSR 200 (in blue).

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah definitely. The blue ones sound much better than the red ones :D

14. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    I am looking for a starter bass for my step son I have heard good things about their short scale on this board does anyone know where on the web they are being sold?

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The official Essex site is atRondo Music. Last I heard, Kurt sold out of the short scale basses in a very short period of time. Give him an email to get more info about it. Nice guy.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

SX is definitely the winner if you want to keep it under $200, new. Low end Yamahas are great bargains, too. I would personally buy either one of these over a Squier or an OLP, although they both make decent basses for the price.

Used gives you so much more bang for the buck! You can get a Peavey Foundation, Axcellerator, Fury or T-40, as well as MIM Deluxe Fenders, Yamaha 760, Ibanez SR300, Dean Edge, and many other decent used basses for under $250.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I'm moving this to Basses, since that is where it belongs.;)

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Or my used MTD KIngston. Hint Hint!!

end of selfish used gear plug

19. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    is out of short scale basses for 4 months, back to the drawing board.

20. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    the essex fretless at rondo music did look interesting, anyone have any comments on it???