best bass for under 700$ ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, May 25, 2005.

1. Hi , recently I sold mi MIM Jazz bass due to a broken trussrod and im now on the difficult task of finding its replacement . I was hoping you guys could help me choose the best one for my budget.

What im looking for in a bass is that it has low action no fret buzz on the upper register. ( I like to do solos ) and that can do both the P bass thump and the J growl .I play in a cover band and need it to be versatile . I was checking out the MArcus Miller Jazz but I dont know if its really worth the money or I should just get a used MIA . So any suggestions will be greatly apreciated . thanks
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    search MTD Kingston
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
  4. amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    ibanez active soundgear. it may be a little of a low end bass but it sounds awesome and it has so pretty low action with no buzz.
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Fender Jazz & Presicion Standard
  6. thanks for the replies. Would the mtd kingstong give me a nice fender sound ?
  7. get thee a used 1980's BB on e-bay like BB2000 or a can't go wrong...
  8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    It might be $50 above the price range you mentioned, but the Spector Rex Brown custom is really amazing. Neck-through, maple body and neck, EMGs, incredible playability.
  9. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    G&L Tribute L-2000 or 2500 - Exactly what you are talkikng about. Another bass I'm personally very interested in is the Fender discussed recently in another thread - I believe it is the Reggie Hamilton. Basically a Jazz bass in PJ configuration. I would think that would be an awesome choice for what you describe and in (or close to) your price range...
  10. 4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    I have very little expirience but have listened to many bass's and I think the Schector c5 is a fantastic bass for well under 700$ IMO. Or the Traben Phoenix.
  11. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles

Or if you want more versatility, you can get a new MTD Heir Active for less than $700. Like the Kingston but with an onboard pre and a J pickup in the neck location.
  12. I bought both of these basses so I can tell you from experience

4 string, Fender Geddy Lee $550. new at GC
    5 string G&L Tribute L2500 $550. new at Buffalo Bros.

NO fret buzz on either which is more than I can say for a few basses that cost quite a bit more! The G&L tone was tremendous!
  13. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Geddy Lee Jazz or Fernandes Gravity Deluxe!

14. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    . . . Carvin B4.
  15. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    +1 on the Kingston

the sound is more of a MM Stingray sound rather than the vintage Fender sound.

The three-band eq lets you dial in quite a few sounds.
  16. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York

This bass is awesome!! For a $400 bass it plays and sounds like its a $900 bass! deffinately get it!! If not I would suggest a Geddy Lee Jazz ( Do a search , verry popular here at TB)
  17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Lakland Skyline 44-01 or 55-01. Either can be had new for under $700.

Used, the possibilities are limitless....
  18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Schecter Stilleto Elite.