Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass for under a grand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkahuna, Oct 7, 2004.

1. bkahuna

bkahuna

Oct 7, 2004
    I play a Mexican Fender P-Bass (4-string fretted) and a Warwick Rockbass Standard Streamer (5-string fretted). The Fender sounds great, the Warwick's pickups are a little soft but plays good. I'm looking to trade in and upgrade to a MM Stingray. I've never played one for more that a few minutes at a music store, and it's hard to tell what it will sound like in a band setting. I know this will open up a can of worms, but I'm open minded. What are some of the best basses for under a $1000 (new or used). I play all styles of music, but am mostly interested in just a warm, smooth (and forgiving) sound.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Hm, I don't think a Stingray qualifies as warm and smooth. I think they're more the punchy-fat-agressive type.

3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Personally, I would pickup an American Series Jazz bass. It does it all, and will be under your limit.

Lync

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I would consider the stingray a P bass on steroids. Sound and quality of which it is hard to live without once experienced.

tk

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I moving on up from my MIM P to a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub sig (P-bass). $875 at Bass Central. They have Lindy Fralin vintage pu's which everyody around here seems to like. They also have vintage frets which I'm starting to like more and more the more I read about them. My Fender betrayed me and I'm through with them, but Lakland seems to have a great reputation for quality and I feel no apprehension about buying one without playing it first. :bassist:

6. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Lakland Skyline 55-02 or Joe Osborne 5. Both nice instruments and both avaible used for under $1,000. (And both available from me, if anyone is interested.)

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    And now you say "What's the best bass under a grand?"

And now we say "New or used?"

And now you say "______"

And now we say "Four five or six strings?"

And now you say "______"

And now we say "P style, J style, MM, or Soapbars?"

And now you say "______"

And now we say "What style of music do you play most?"

And now you say "________"

And now we say "Do you want to be able to play it first?"

And you say "______"

I just thought I'd start this form for use in this and the myriad similar posts that arise regularly on TB.

And the answer to your question?

It depends.

8. you can find used Cirrus basses under a grand

I got my 6'er for 850 and it was like new

9. bkahuna

bkahuna

Oct 7, 2004
    (For Dr. PhunkyPants)
    What's the best bass for under a grand?
    A Used, Four string with any style pickups, but I like hummbuckers. I mostly play Punk and Hardcore, but also play some Ska, Blues and am learning some Funk. When I said smooth and warm sound, I was trying to describe more of a thick, fat and heavy sound...something with good sustain. And finally, it would be nice to be able to play it first but that's not always easy.

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    If we're talking a used 4-string then I'd say go with a G&L L2000 or ASAT. Very powerful but more so very versatile. You can get PLENTY aggressive with either of these basses. But you can still do dub, jazz, funk it up, even approximate a pretty good vintagey vibe. I dig Stingrays too but I think you'll get more out of the G&Ls.

r

11. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Used Elrick, which is about $1000 - $1200. Or have Nino Build you one with any pups & pre-amp you want.

Cheers

12. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I will second the recommendation for the Lakland Skyline Glaub (I plan to own one myself one day), but I will also say that my '96 'Ray sounds much more "warm and smooth" when it's wearing flats.

I don't slap much and don't care much for the zing you get with rounds.

On my 'Ray, I've tried the TI fazz flats and Labella Deep Talkin' flats (I like the lighter gauge better than the standard) and had good results with both.

You can't go wrong with a used Stingray. I got mine for $750 shipped w/HSC and I love it.

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Cool. That simplifies matters. If you can find one used, I'd recommend a Lakland Skyline 44-02 (Great electronics and lots of variabilityness for broad range of styles. There's a guy on Ebay who sells a CD called "Lakland versus Musicman" and it has about 23 tracks with different cool Lakland tones. Gets very close to a P bass, but has TONS of other tones, too). If not that, then then the Revend Rumblefish also has legions of devotees around TB.

14. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Actually, there is a Lakland skyline 44-02 for sale on the TB Classifieds right now. The asking price is $700 plus shipping.

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Ignore these people, they are hateful and were raised by a family of wild poodles in the forests of France.

Get you a Stingray. You want fat and smooth? String it with flats and play with your fangers - voila! Fat, smooth, deadly cool.

Stingray. Get the Stingray. Ignore everyone else. Look deep into my beady little eyes. Stingray. Get a Stingray.

The Stingray is what you want. So get one.

Here endeth the lesson.

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Bovine;

That was the forests of Belgium, not France, and were I to do the MM thing it would surely be a Sterling. But having said that, I don't think MM's are as versatile as some other basses. That doesn't mean I don't like Sterlings, though.

17. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hear hear, and those Sterling necks are to die for; like budda on our world famous waffles, pal.

r

18. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

I play a Sting Ray 5, I've owned Fenders and would go with the Sting Ray. The Sting Ray 4 I've seen advertised at under $1000.00. Just my $00.2.

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Get a Stingray. Hands down - they're great!! Both the 4 and 5 string versions are well worth every penny you might pay. Plus, a like new Stingray will go for well under $1000.

Good luck.

p.s. Get a Stingray! :hyper:

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I saw a Euro neckthrough Spector at GC for around a grand. I like the G&L's too.