Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Best" Bass fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I know this has been done a few times, but I've got it narrowed down - a little. It will only get rare use - with an envelope filter or something. So, I'm torn between these few:

Z. Vex Woolly Mammoth
    (TB, very small pedal, blend and the pinch knob sounds cool)
    PE Depth Charge
    (TB, blend)
    Chunk Systems Fuzz
    (TB, larger pedal, fuzz & bass knobs, and a gate knob which also is a cool idea)
    That Ezekiel pedal looks pretty wild too - but it's been sort of hush, hush around here :)

I know there's no best, but I'd like a little input (where's davidwilson or toastedweed). I'm sorta leaning towards the Chunk pedal, but I really like the small footprint of the Mammoth. I haven't had the chance to try any of these yet. Thanks in advance...

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You rang? :)

Are you looking for mild or extreme fuzz?

The zvex is pretty extreme, it also has a bit of a hard time dealing with active bass signals and IMO works best with passive basses.

The Chunk is cool, the noise gate is a nice feature but I rarely used it. But to my ears, it was kind of characterless. Also, the lack of a tone knob meant I had to do more fiddling with the bass/effect knobs than I would have liked.

The Depth Charge I'm kind of on the fence about. I have one. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it. I play it at home and it sounds great, live it gets a bit woolly.

Frantone lo-tone is good as well, again I found it worked best with passive basses and seemed to get easily overloaded by active basses.

Black Cat Octave Bass Fuzz is a cool pedal. It has dry/wet volumes plus drive. Despite no tone control, it has the harmonic and filter switches which change the characteristic of the fuzz to more nasal if you want - can make an envelope filter quack more.

For my occassional use on it's own and driving an envelope filter, I'd have to say the Black Cat Octave Bass Fuzz is the one that best fits my fuzz needs. But I'm certainly interested in hearing the Ezekiel :)

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The ezikiel is my 1 off custom creation.

you can find the guy that did it for me here: www.stompboxes.co.uk

if you want some more specifics of my pedal. i can PM you them. just let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I think I'm looking for occasional extreme fuzz. All 2 of my basses are active though - so it sounds like the Z Vex and the Depth Charge might be hard to use in a band setting. The Black Cat sounds cool - did you get that from Analogman by chance? I just got his clone chorus with the deep mod and that thing is great! Maybe I'll throw some more business his way.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm just working on some sound samples. be with u in 20 mins :D

(and no i didnt, www.stompboxes.co.uk i live in england.)

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Toastedweed,

I didn't realize it was that personalized. For my rare use of the pedal I don't think I need a custom job done -
    thought I might be asking for it on that one.

- thanks though

7. Don't have an active bass so I can't say about that but I have the Depth Charge and love it. Blend is good, wide range of tone, very buzzy, grindy distortion.

8. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    thanx ya'll how would you compare a deluxe bass big muff or bass big muff?
    Paul

9. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Holy thread necromancy

10. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I just recently picked up a smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine that is unbelievably cool with a great wide range of useable tones. I'd highly recommend checking one out if you can.

11. I wish I had ordered an Ezekiel when they were in production... <sigh>

I would order one in a heartbeat if they ever went back into production (hint, hint)

LOL - I never check the dates! Well, thread necromancy is what you get when you constantly tell peeps to do a search before posting a question...

Another +1 for TAFM. Love it, love it, love it.

12. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington, DC
    The only thing bad about TAFM is that they're kind of hard to search for because they're often listed with initials (ss/bs, tafm, etc). Definitely keep an eye out for them though. That is if you're still looking for a fuzz pedal 9 years later. Haha, I just noticed the original date as well. That's awesome.

13. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Oh lol. Sheeesh. 2004? They made fuzz back then?

I keep trying to fathom what combination of words was entered into the search to have this be the first thread to pop up.

14. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    Me still checkin out fuzz pedals(s) my EH bass balls has a fuzz, but may want one to run with a better Phaser, when ever i select one.. heard the keely, maxxon, or psylocibe are some nice ones.
    Also wondering if anyone has a diagram of the bass balls, (need to wire in on-off an LED indicator, mine was used and someone broke or remover the light, which i kinda want to have working again.. Paul