Best bass gear manufacturer's website?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SlavaF, Aug 11, 2003.

1. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    After seeing lots of uninformative websites for makers of bass gear (won't name any:D) I've decided to ask you all this question: What do you think is the best website run by a bass gear manufacturer? They can make guitars too (Ibanez, Fender, etc) and other products (Yamaha). Basses, amps, cabinets, effects, rack gear, whatever.

Judge on amount of information, quality of information, amount of pictures, updates, options listed, prices, etc etc whatever you want.

I will start off with Ken Smith's website. I love this site! Tons of pix of beautiful Smith basses, prices for everything, custom options listed, and even an online factory tour!:D But mainly for the basses. Aren't those Black Tigers something special?:D :bassist:

Anyway, I hope this is the right forum for this topic... so which gear-maker(s) do you think have great websites?

2. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i dont know what my choice would be. however, we cant lump everyone who pumps out basses in the same group. companys like fodera, and ken smith or jerzy drozd are expecting to be contacted for a custom bass job. where as yamaha or fender or cort are bigger companies with whole groups of people to look after the sites and products need to be described more in detail, because there are no options, and what you see is what you get. i think the groove tools part of the conklin site (also conklin in general is a-okay) just my opinion, just thought it mattered.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    FBB's website is keen. Pretty much every bass he's made as FBB is up there, he's got pics of progress for every surfer to view, his options page is extensive, he takes pretty good pictures, and he's a nice guy to top it all off.

I'd take that site over most any other out there.
  4. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I find Fender's actual spec pages informative, but navigation is a little ornate. Could probably cut 2 pages out of the chain to get to one instrument. And Ibanez's website just sucks. No company contact information is one major complaint.

I find myself browing warmoth's site quite a bit. So, my votes for them.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The Roscoe and Zon websites are definitely not bound for this list. Not much info or photos, and neither gets updated often.
  6. I think I would have to say that Alembic has the coolest site. Pretty basses and easy to navigate.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I think the benavente site is pretty kickin.... :D really!!

Go take a look!
    It's designed/maintained etc. by a TBer I hear....

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok kids, check this out. Go to and check out Carey Nordstrand's site. It's been newly redone and it is as close to perfect as I can think of. It is simple, beautiful and extremely informative. All the info you could need is there. Oh yeah, check out the amazing pictures. Very impressive.

Do I play a Nordstrand bass? You bet I do! Does that mean that I have to like the website? Not at all. It just so happens that he found the right guy to do it. I honestly wish that more luthiers would take the simple is better aproach with their sites.
  9. I wish the small independent luthiers would all post prices! Rob Allen has a detailed price list, for instance. I know some folks only do one-of-a-kind pieces, but a price under each photo in the gallery would give me a general idea.

I'm curious about JP, and I have no idea whether he's charging $2500 or $5000. I'm hoping Bunnybass will get one and solve the mystery.
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

Thanks, and I'll contact James about placing the base price on the pic at the Benavente Site.

Theres is a list price link on the site. When your on the Bass or Guitar page at the top you will see a list price link that give you a majority of the options and list pricing.

Any other suggestions are always welcome.

11. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yup...that's James - Spedding! One cool Dude.:D
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

JP has a price list, just you have to PM him. I did, and now know prices. But since I probably shouldn't post them, I won't.:D

And about the Nordstrand site, wow! MUCH better than the last one! Big plus for posting a price list!:D

Oh yeah, and Warmoth has to be said again. Oh, all those hours of me planning my dream Gecko...:D It's a great site!

13. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Welllll, I didn't wanna say anything, but I knew that. Awesome job James...thanks for hosting my site(s) as well!