Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass/guitar stand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by baba, Oct 21, 2004.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Silly thread, yes. I want to buy some new guitar stands for gigs/travel. Any suggestions? Quality and portability are key.

I hate shopping brick and mortar stores and will be buying on line so I won't have the luxury of touchy feely browsing of guitar stands. I am at your collective mercy.

Suggestions?

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Im still looking for a sturdy/portable stand myself.

Quik-Lok and Ultimate Support stands look promising; you can prolly get them from any online dealer.

Also, you could go to sites like Bass Emporium, BassNW, etc... and see what they stock/recommend.

3. The "Ultimate" racks are pretty cool. I don't like single guitar stands, I've had two unfortunate headstock incidents with single guitar stands. The "Ultimate" ones are a rack (hold 3-7 instruments) and it's really hard to accidentally tip a standard shaped guitar over.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just got a new Hercules "shock" stand that is really cool. It is very sturdy and has a system that allows it to be bumped without spilling your bass on the floor. Plus, it folds up into a very compact size.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wow, this looks like the ultimate in portability. Doesn't look too stable, but it might be worth a try at 15 bucks.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    After trying numerous stands, I heavily recommend the Hamilton hanging guitar stand. It works especially well for instruments with unusual body shapes (like my Thunderbird and Explorer), which do not fit well on other stands. They are also very sturdy and road-worthy. After buying my first one, both of my guitar players and I use nothing but these stands, now.

Music123 has a blowout deal on them right now:

Hamilton hanging guitar stand at Music123

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Either that picture is an optical illusion or I'm confused..or both. It looks like it would not so much hang as lay against that knob. Does that top hanger piece need to flip over 180 degrees?

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's an optical illusion. The knob is on the side of the "tube." The instrument is supported just below the headstock, and on the padded front legs, down by the bottom. It does not come anywhere near contacting the knob, but I can see what you mean about that picture being potentially misleading!

Tom.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hercules Auto Grab.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Yeah, I use a Hamilton stand.
    Most stable stand I've ever found.
    Well built too.

12. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    While these are very portable from my experience but this is the worst stand i have had as far as stabilty.I will not put a 10,000 dollar bass on a stand that is so unstable that it lets a bass fall to the side like this one does.If you want to put a 100 dollar beater thats fine for you but not anything I want to continue to own!

13. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    +1 for Hercules. I have two stands...a single and a triple. There are not too many stands out there that will hold my Alembic Exploiter.

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wow, I posted this one 8 years ago. Nice necro.

For the record, I got a Hercules stand and that bitch is still kickin!!! It has survived an untold number of steady gigs and load in/outs. It does need a little silicon spray or something to reslickify it for folding.