1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass I can buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sisial, May 9, 2006.

1. I'm still getting the money together, but I'm going to buy a bass sometime this summer. I've been looking around the net and there are so many possibilities I'm not sure where to begin purchasing one. I'm looking for something that I can keep using for years, that has a lot of experimental possibilites, that won't go out of date with new electronic systems (if that ever happens), and of course has some great sound. I don't mind if it's not a great beginner bass, I would prefer quality and...rockfulness...to ease. I've got quite a bit of musical experience with other instruments (though nothing with strings). Advice?

Also, what features make a really good base based on the criteria above?

Also, preferably something between 1,000-2,000 bucks...that seems to be the average price range, right?

Thanks!

2. Start by filling out your profile, that makes it easier to give advice based on your needs.

Also, there is no "Best" bass. There are many high end basses, all of which have a different tone and feel. The best bass for you may not be the best for me, or someone else. Best is really a subjective term.

I really wouldn't advise going all out on your first bass, especially if you're not familiar with strings. I suggest buying a cheap beginner bass for about $200, playing for a year or two to find out what you're into, and what you're looking for. Once you have in mind some qualities you'd prefer, then it's time to start shopping.

Hope I helped, and welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of bass :bassist:

Peace
    Drake

3. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    +1 on this. Probably the best advice you're going to recieve from anyone here. :)

AuG

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Some may not like this suggestion, as they're inexpensive...

But go with an SX and maybe swap the pickups. Do that, and spend a decent amount on a good amp, and you'll be doin yourself some good...

Anyways, they're a very good place to start, and solid instruments.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dingwall Afterburner 1:

[​IMG]

Would one expect me to suggest any other bass? ;)

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Purdy.

7. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    +1
    ...except that I'd budget around $300-$500. IMO, that's about the price point where you can get something that is of all-around decent quality... that you can live with for a while.

Otherwise, I totally agree. You need to play for a while in order to get some perspective to choose something for the long haul.

For something new in that price range, again my opinion, but I think an Ibanez will give you the best bang for the buck.

Also... beware basses that have a symmetrical or unusual shape, where the strap point is not out over or close to the 12th fret. They tend to be neck-heavy, which can be a pain starting out. Just about any Epiphone/Gibson is a great example of this.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey, you're only a short trip down the highway from this one...

9. Good point. I'm used to saying 200, because that's what I got, but 3-500 will give you a nice bass. The Ibanez SR300 is in this range, yes?

And I hate Burning for posting that Dingwall.

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    And not too far off from mine...

11. +1, also; and the "best advice" part 2 would be go out to bass shops and PLAY some. Don't buy off the "net" unless you've tried one somewhere so you know what you're getting. Until you've played them, you will have no idea what the best bass for you is. It's a very personal "fit". Good luck!, and welcome to the wonderful world of bass.;)

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Why, thank you.

Dingwall envy can be a powerful motivator.

Dingwall tone, feel and action are even more powerful.

13. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well I guess I'll answer your question since no one else is. There are alot of things you can get with 1200. But, like everyone has said- you need to play first, and develop what you like. You have no clue what kinda tone you want to feel. You have no clue what pick up arrangement you want, or the advantages one has over the other. You don't know what thickness you want on your neck. You don't know what grain of would you like on your bass. The what you don't knows can go on for quite some time... But i'll end them now and tell you what I'd do.
    I was recently in a similar situation, my birthday came, and my mom said- you can get a bass, but I get all your birthday money. Like a fool I agreed, but it turned out fair (about 50-50).
    I went with the MIA Fender Precision Deleuxe. What I really liked about this bass was it was very very versatile. It's still a fender, but it's got an active EQ, a great finish, a P pickup (dont' have a P, and I paly classic rock, I was ashamed) and Its got a great double J pickup. It can be mellow, funky, jazzy, rocky, metaly- you know name it does it.
    But for 1200 you can also get...
    A used warmoth
    a peavey Cirrus
    A dingwall (As a beginner I DO NOT RECONMEND THIS, fanned frets + beginning cannot equate well)
    MIA fender's (P's, J's, P/J's)
    Spectors
    Warwicks
    Music Man (Sterlings are really great, nice necks to me, and a great sound- it was down to the sterling and deleuxe when I choose)

But like i said I can't choose for you. Right now... I'd get a dingwall or a cirrus. Why... I don't know.

14. +1 on there is no "best" bass. You have to take the time to play and listen to several basses in your price range. Sure, there are plenty of people here that can comment on quality or features to check out, but ultimately it has to be a bass that you like.

I would make sure to leave enough money for a decent amp. There's little point in buying a nice bass only to play it through a crappy amp. You won't be happy for long.

Paul Mac

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Or a long one, seeing as I'd be biking because I just got my driver's permit like two week ago.:p

16. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    don't buy a $1-2k bass for your first bass. even $500 is too much. upgrading a bass as a new player is inevitable. what happens if you don't even like the instrument (not that that ever happens...)? i would suggest maybe a nice SX jazz or PJ in the 4 string configuration to get you started, as well as a nice combo amp. maybe the total would run you close to $400-500, but that would include a pretty darn decent amp.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Unfortunately, it's been about 6 months since we played Rochester (the Dinosaur)...and it looks like it will be a while as we're light one lead singer currently. :(

I'll try to remember to let you know when I'm in town again and you can try it out.

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If you have never played bass before then chances are your not going to be really sure what you want. You might not notice the nuances of an instrument just yet but will become more apparant later on down the line. Going out and trying basses is a good idea when you know what your looking for or know what to look for but if you can't play bass at all then how can you try them out properly??

My advice would be to bring a friend that plays bass and has a decent knowledge of the matter to a shop and have him look over some instruments with you. I would agree with previous posters; don't go all out on your first bass. Take a look at some nice mid level instruments yamahas, made in mexico fenders, ibanez etc. Find one that you and your knowledgable friend agree would be a good instrument to start out on. Keep the money left over for an upgrade later on down the line when your more sure of what your looking for.

19. MagnaKen

MagnaKen

Jan 17, 2006
    Redland, Oregon
    Sisial, are you reading all this great advice? Perhaps you could respond.

My question back: does the $$ include an amp and other gear or just the bass?

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Get a Music Man.