Best Bass instructional video

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SKB, Aug 30, 2001.

1. SKB

SKB Guest

Im thinking of buying another instructional video, and I was just wondering what videos you've learned the most from?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Did somebody say Instructional?

Off to General Instruction.
  3. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000 Tommy Shannon's Hot Licks tape. It's a good tape for intermediate and beginning players esp. if you're into blues.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's easy:

Alexis Sklarevski - The Slap Bass Program

Well structured and paced, it picks you up at beginner level and takes you up to pro level.
    Great INSTRUCTIONAL video.
    I found that most other videos are more inspirational videos, with not really much to work with and learn from. Great to look at, but a lot of bassists who do videos just show their licks and do smalltalk and don't focus on teaching enough.
    Alexis is a great teacher, and it shows on this video.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Roscoe Beck has two videos which I find to be especially good for blues bass playing. His tapes are my current favorites.

Dave LaRue has an excellent video and booklet, but it was the first video I bought after I bought my first bass. LaRue's video was too advanced for me then. It took a few years before I could really understand everything and appreciate what he was saying.

Billy Sheehan has a two tape instruction video that is both inspirational and instructive, but again, it took me two or three years to really understand fully what all he is saying. His tapes may no longer be available, however.

Lastly Stu Hamm's first video is packed full of ideas. He now has a second one, but I haven't seen it.

I actually have had more luck with several of the instructional book/CD packages I have bought than many of the tapes. I guess I don't like stopping and starting a tape over and over. With a book, you can just turn the page or not.

The books, as a general rule, contain more information than most videos and cost less. Videos, if they come with any written instruction at all, tend to have very badly written or almost none to accompany the video.

Videos are OK if you have a favorite bass player and seeing him (or her) provides you with inspiration and insight into their personality. Question: Has any woman done a bass instruction video? Maybe Carole Kaye.
  6. Say.....Do they have any decent instructionals in the DVD format?My vcr has been relegated to my spare room and it would be a hassle to drag all my stuff from the living room(studio :rolleyes: )into there to watch a video.
  7. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I'll record a DVD of me playing and then I'll send it to you man...that outta serve as good instruction for a couple of month

8. HAHA I may just take you up on that Peder!

I could get my bass instruction and swedish language lesson all in one!:p
  9. SKB

SKB Guest

Thanks for the replies, but now I have another question. I've narrowed it down to three videos, but I only have enough money for one. They are:
    the Alexis sklarevski slap bass, Stu Hamm's first video, victor wooten at bass day '98. Which one should I get?
  10. SKB :

I'm interested in these videos too. So tell me which web site sells them when you find them. Thanks. And I too would would like that Swedish Bass lesson! lol..
  11. Someone on another thread mentioned and I checked it out. They are charging $42.95 for the Skarlevsky(sp?) Slap Bass video. That's about the best price I've found.
  12. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Vic's Bass Day tape is mostly his performance, though he does do some commentary on what he does, and why he does it. The video is worth the $15 just to see him perform (a lesson in itself!). Vic has (had?) a video called super bass solo techniques or something like that, if you want an instructional video by him, that might be a better choice.

I would also say get the Roscoe Beck tape, it has alot of good stuff and I got it for about $20. Well worth it!
  13. I have heard Mark Egan has a great instructional video.Sorry but the exact title escapes me.

I`m going to buy it if I can ever find it!:p
    Wonder if they make bass instructionals in dvd format?
  14. Videos are usually disappointing from a learning standpoint, but often great from an inspirational stance. You want to learn? Get a teacher.....and it does'nt have to be a bass teacher. The physical aspect of playing bass is quickly learnt. It's the musical aspect that's a lifelong quest.