1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass line EVER?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fro0d, May 14, 2006.

1. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    1. What is the best bass line you have ever heard?!

2. What is the best slap/pop bass line you have ever heard?!

You dont have to answer both! just tell which one it is.

Personally I like Higher ground by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (yes, I know there must be better out there).

2. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    AAANY one?

3. Man, that is a tough one... There are so many great bass lines it is really hard to give you just one.

But I must admit to being really turned on by the bass line from "Christmas Wrapping" The Waitresses. I will not say it is the best I have ever heard, but every time I hear it, I just laugh because it is so freakin' cool! Especially for such an obscure, novelty song.

Another one along those lines it the bass line from Bow Wow Wow's song, "Hold Me". You never hear that on the radio anywhere and it seems to be kind of hard to find - but when MTV was in it's prime they played it pretty often. The bassline is extra-super-latin-cool-groovy!

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Roundabout
    Lemon Song
    Another One Bites the Dust

Groove in a can!

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    dude. i thought i was the only one! waaaaaaaaay +1!! that line ROCKS.

and lemon song. anything by zeppelin, really. and anything james jamerson did is pure gold.

besides that... trevor dunn's on mr. bungle's first album rank quite high (regarding questions #1 and #2 from the original post). he's so stylish.
    just listen to "dead goon", about 45 seconds in. not slapped, but amazing.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    longview.

(half joking)

7. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    As a guy that wouldn't mind watching Green Day burn, Longview is a good line.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Picking a best bassline ever is... pointless. Not saying there is a point to any of my threads, but what bassline would justify being called the best ever?

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

....and this comes from a guy who has even MORE posts than Munjibinjaninja or whatever.

no, there isn't really a point. MY bassline in Jet Pack Johnny's "Save Me" is the best line ever.

so there.

if the thread was called "most inspiring bassline to you" it would lose some of its.... zing. y'know?

10. "if you want me to stay" by sly and the family stone (larry graham)...i guess it is both 1. and 2. (albeit fairly sedate popping)

11. Great basslines are all about context.

12. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    As far as bass guitar goes I'd pick What's Going On - Marvin Gaye with James Jamerson on bass. I really don't know my slap players to well, but for that I'd probably go with a Larry Graham line.

To pick the best bass line though you have to think about all the classical and jazz lines on upright. There's no way.

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  14. 1a. Lets Get Retarded - Black Eyed Peas
    1b. Dyer Maker - Led Zeppelin
    2. POW! - Graham Central Station

just my favourites, but that BEP line is IMO one of the most tasteful pop lines ever

15. JPJ on Led Zep II pulled out some of the classics of the genre. The Lemon Song is just so brilliant. But its Ramble On that just gets me.

Run For Cover Marcus Miller.

Only So Much Oil In The Ground- Rocco. I mean that is insane right hand funk going on.

Money- Waters, well its catchy.

An impossible question.

The bass player for Robben Ford at a gig at The Basement Sydney many years ago I think played the perfect bass line on this slow blues. It was just as close to perfect and cool as you can get, then took a solo that left the crowd stunned.

Stu Hamm at a Satriani gig in Sydney. A standing ovation that blew Satch off the stage.

etc. etc

16. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Was the bassist for Robben Ford this guy by any chance? Roscoe Beck

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Can't believe no-one's mentioned Disco Inferno - absolutely the best disco bassline out there. I think it's by The Trammps, bassist is Stanley Wade according to teh intranet.

18. 541. Chameleon - Herbie Hancock
    245. Watermelon Man - " "
    88. Another one bites the Dust - Queen
    454. :meh: longview - Green Day ....... :rollno:
    0273. Money - Pink Floyd
    984. Jessica - THe Allman Brothers Band
    5. London Calling - The Clash
    109. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones :rolleyes:

19. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I like

lemon song,
    soul to squeeze
    wrath child
    fairies wear boots

to name a couple

20. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze

I think I've decided that that is the best bassline ever. No flash, just groove.

Graeme