Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass lines in punk

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sarin4, Jun 13, 2001.

1. sarin4

sarin4

May 31, 2001
    florida
    Well i may be a bit biased in saying this but dee dee ramone, is the #1 bassist. period he is the reason i play the bass, then matt freeman not just from rancid but his op.iv. days as well..... also the guy in integrity they are awesome

e-mail me if any one has any tabs for snapcase,integrity, in bass or geetar. sarsip75@aol.com

2. FWIW, I doubt anyone here is going to have tabs for any of that stuff. Hardcore is not that popular around here, especially stuff like Integrity.

On a similar note, I saw the singer from Lifetime's new band last night (Zero Zero). God, did that suck. Straight up disco music.

3. my own personal favorite is "Chick Magnet" by MxPx. That's my theme song:D

4. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Well, I like the bassist of the Offspring and the solo in "Have you ever"

David

5. The bassline in AFI's "totalimmortal" kicks mucho butt.

6. i like a lot of joe lally's lines, particularly "margin walker" "combination lock" and "bed for the scraping."

and paul simonon's lines on "rudie can't fail" "koka kola" and "death or glory"

7. Matt Freemans solo in "Maxwell Murder". The bass line in Green Days "Long View" and "Welcome to Paradise" is good too...

8. The Offspring's "I Choose" has an awesome bassline. Also almost <b>anything</b> by AFI, Rancid too.

9. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I really like some of the Op Ivy bass lines as well. They sound different than the stuff most punk bands play today.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"best bass lines in punk"

NO - the best basslines are in any other type of music than punk, which by definition is not about musicianship. So the best basslines are in Jazz, Rock, Reggae, Afro Cuban, Classical ..etc etc.

Anything but punk! ;)

11. Tomek from Satanic Surfers (no, no metal) is great!

12. Dude, if you said that to my face I'd hit you. Whether or not you like punk, unless you're unbelievably narrow-minded, you have to admit that there are some really good bassists and bass lines in punk. MxPx's bassist, Mike Herrara, is great, and so is Matt Freeman from Rancid. Guys like these are the reason a lot of kids start bass. I know Mike was one of the reasons I started. Listen to "The Theme Fiasco" by MxPx and then say that punk has no musicianship.

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. YEah but the bass in cereal warsby afi is better, and the bass solo in rancids aixon is so crazy.

14. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Peaches - by the Stranglers
    j

15. Journey to the end- Rancid

16. yeah, well we can beat you up.

:p

seriously though, you're wrong.

17. "best bass lines in punk"

NO - the best basslines are in any other type of music than punk, which by definition is not about musicianship. So the best basslines are in Jazz, Rock, Reggae, Afro Cuban, Classical ..etc etc.

Anything but punk!

yeah dude, u R wrong about that

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hehe, c'mon Brucie, there's exceptions to every rule. True, punk is not about musicianship (thank you Sid Vicious), but just like every other genre, the music can evolve in any given direction. Sure there's no such thing as a punk epic or anything (ok, Dick's Automotive by the Rugburns is 8 minutes, but it's still only two chords), but there are actually a few bassists out there who give a hoot and don't noise pollute. Matt Freeman from Rancid isn't bad if you give him a chance, and Dan Adriano from Alkaline Trio is incredible, except for their last album, in which the bass isn't up to par, IMO.

BTW, all, that little ;) at the end of Bruce's post means that there really was no ill will intended. No need to raise the punk battle standard. (Uh, right Bruce? :) )

19. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Joe Lally especially on "Waiting Room" from their 13 Songs record!

20. NoFx. The Decline.