Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass magazines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, May 16, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    BP send me offer to continue their subscription, and I decided to let it go for now. Too much cash for too much ads, I think.

Now, could you recommend me something better? I'd like something with bit of TB style of news, articles and rewiews, but with more instruction and articles that actually help you become better.

People are talking about Bassics I believe, and if I recall correctly, there was some new mag from UK but the name escapes me.. Does anyone remember what it was, or better yet is familiar with the mag?

2. Man, Im with you -

I used to(and still do) read 'modern drummer' which is an excellent mag for any musician!

Every once in a while if the 'feature' strikes me Ill pick up a version of BP. But time and time again the publication seems to lack in the substance department. True it has lots of ad's, but then again any mag does, and should to keep the $$ coming in. But it doesn't really offer anything that makes me want to get it month after month.

I too would be very interested in finding something with a little more substance.

Later -
    K.

3. There's mags are not for me. I'm not a gear freak not am I interested in what bass player is doing what.

Added to that, the subscription charges are high IMHO. Our guitarist buys a mag @ £5 per issue. That equates to two or three sets of bass strings per year.

Just how I see it.

John

4. that's "Bass Guitar Magazine".

I bought the first issue with John Paul Jones as the cover story.
    the next issue is meant to have an interview with Chris Wolstenholme of Muse.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    So, how do you like it?

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've subscribed to Bass Player for over ten years and still have two years left because the last time I signed up for three years to save a little money.

I may NOT sign up again when that runs out. Why? Because the Internet has replaced much of what I get Bass Player for. I mean much of what Bass Player has that I enjoy, lessons, techniques, workshops, equipment news and evaluations are available on the Internet free, even right here at TalkBass.com.

Also, I guess I am a sore loser. I've entered every bass contest in ten years time and never even won a pack of strings. Seems like in ten years of trying I would have won something.:(

7. it looks promising- a bit more attention to detail than the old Bassist magazine (which used to have quite a lot of factual mistakes).
    the target audience seems a bit more serious/professional than Bassist's more "hobbyist" one- whether that's good or bad.

their distribution seems to be limited though- few people on here have been able to track down a copy.