Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass Moment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BASS_PLAYERS, May 25, 2001.

1. Leo Fender invents the P-Bass

51 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. John Entwhistle's bass solo on "my generation"

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Jaco's release of his self-titled album

14 vote(s)
    17.7%
  4. The unveiling of the Ampeg SVT

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    What would you say is the best moment in bass history?? (If your selection isn't on the list, feel free to just post it instead)

2. Pretty hard to top the invention of the viable electric bass, I think.

FF

3. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Yeah, I noticed that this would be a runaway just after I posted it...

4. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    Yeah, It's one of those which came first the chicken or the egg deals.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My own personal "Best Bass Moment" would be anytime I bring home a new bass & my wife dosen't kill me. :D:p

6. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    nc
    when i opened the box and lifted my baby to the light of day

7. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Thats when you pull one of these: The "Look what Bob at work gave me!!". The "How did that get here??". And the (in)famous "It's the same one I always had, I just repainted it." :)

8. nino, how does she even tell which basses are new? especially if it's a spector...

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Entwistle's solo!

Entwistle's solo!

Actually, it wouldn't quite have worked as well had he done it on his trumpet, so I suppose the invention of the bass manages to edge it.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well she know's all the Spector's I have so if I tell her "Oh. I had that Spector", I'll get a biff off the head w/it!!!! :eek:

I actually tell her about 99% of the stuff I buy because it'll be worse if I don't tell her & I'm a bad liar. :) There have been one or two that snuk in the house. I try not to make that a habbit.

:D

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know some gearheads, and I tell you what, that "repainted it" line is either VERY effective, or it falls on it's face...followed by the perp, who has just been beaned with it.

I can't believe this one person (no names!:D) didn't know a friend had snuck in a Quilted maple guitar, in place of his old Fender, and the re-paint line worked!

12. well, of course the invention of it was the greatest moment... if it hadn´t been invented, the other things wouldn´t have happened... :)

the greatest moment in the whole electric bass history is when I started playing... :rolleyes:

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    soon on VH1:

"100 greatest Bass Moments" hosted by John Entwistle

:eek:

That would be THE COOLEST SHOW EVER ON THE HISTORY OF TV ( for me :D )

14. SMABASS

SMABASS

May 27, 2001
    ATLANTA
    Mine would be before I started playing Bass in 1972 having 8th row seats in front of Chris Squire at a Yes show in Flint MI. I couldn't imagine that human beings could play music like that... It`s weird but now I can play any of that early Yes stuff on drums as well as ( or better ) -ego trip- (but true) than Alan White the drummer I saw that night. Later I started playing Bass and was influenced by Chris Squire (as was Getty Lee). I can`t play any Yes songs on Bass and wouldn't try to....I just play my own stuff for fun....and that`s the best reason to play.

15. when Krist Novaselic(sp?) of Nirvana threw his bass into the air at the MTV music video awards and it hit him and knocked him down

at least i think it was him, im not sure, poor guy

16. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Yeah that was Krist.
    I saw an interview with him on T.V. about it, he's a nutter, he said...
    "the sound was pretty crap and so I got bored and decided to throw my bass up in the air, I've got some pretty good air before so I thought I'd see how high I could get it."

Who says bass players aren't stupid! :D

17. Too True

18. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It would have to be the invention of the P-bass by Leo Fender of course. None of the other things would have been possible. Like others have already mentioned.

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  20. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    That was great! (I think it's "Novoselic"?)