Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass of these 3 for slapping and Tapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Aug 17, 2002.

Best for tapping and slapping?

Poll closed Sep 16, 2002.
  1. Modulus Quantum 5 w/ bart electronics(3-band)

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. Zon Sonus Special 4

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Warwick Thumb Neckthru 5(wenge neck)

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Which one of these basses in your opinion would be best and why?:confused:

2. I say Warwick. Deep bottom on the lows and good treble mid on the highs.

3. gotta go with the warwick. imo the modulus is a great bass but to me it does not sound good when slapped.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That really depends on YOU, not the bass.

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But you have to admit that some basses are ideal for slapping(ie. musicman) and some are great for picking(thunderbird) and some are great for fingerstyle(p-bass). These are only examples of in my mind what these basses excel at. I'm asking what in everyones mind the above basses are better at.:confused: ;)

6. Which begs the question, why slapping and tapping?
    Both are dated techniques from the 80s and early 90s, and bear little relevance in todays bass world. IMO!

7. tell that to victor wooten, bill dickens, les claypool, alain caron, billy sheehan, stu hamm, john turner, john myung, john patitucci, and john paul jones

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    FiXeR: you should've added Modulus Flea Bass and a Modulus Quantum 5 with EMGs.. the Quantum5 with EMGs have killer slapping tone and more than likely a nice clear tapping tone as well...

But the finger tone sounds soo cold.. VERY Clear but no body to it

DM

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why are the Modulus and the Warwick 5 stringers and the Zon a 4?

I'm a little biased against Modulus as I'm not really into how they feel, but between the Warwick and the Zon, I'd go Zon.

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I know John Turner well, but... who are Victor Wooten, Bill Dickens, Les Claypool, Alain Caron, Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, John Myung, John Patitucci and John Paul Jones ???:confused: :D

11. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    thumb hands down. hell-deep bottom end and killer mid on the highs. very resonant the sustain is excellent and the wenge board with the jumbo frets melts in your fingers.

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    boogie: well maybe cuz i played it thru my TraceElliot :) I owned a Modulus Q5 with EMGs so I konw what im trying to say ;)

DM

13. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    bump

14. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    Stu who?:rolleyes: Did he play bass?

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think my Q5 with Barts/3 band sounds killer when slapped. But a Thumb is also a great sounding bass. Depends on you.

16. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Zon.

Forget it is me writing this... just hear me out.

Between the Zon and the Modulus, the Zon will have a 34" neck, and the strings won't feel as tight. Visit my website to hear the double thumping and doublepopping clips

(http://www.peterduncan.net).

When you get into this stuff, it is really hard to pull off the intricate slap techniques on strings that are really tight (like on the 35" modulus). At least for me it is. Everytime I demo a gorgeous Quantum 5, I am like, MAN this is TOUGH to play. The strings feel like they are made of concrete on the 35 for me.

The Warwick has IMO a slower neck b/c it is MUCH thicker front to back (think baseball bat cut in half). I have never heard ANYONE regard a Warwick as having a "fast" neck. For moving around the fingerboard quickly as in the case of tapping and slapping, the Zon will feel faster. It will also make tapping with the left hand easier, as you won't take up finger stretch real estate with neck thickness (it will be easier to cover the fretboard with your left hand on a thinner neck) The harmonics on the Zon will also sustain more, as will most of the notes in general (characteristic of graphite necks). Additionally, you will notice a more "compressed" vibe on the Zon, where you reach a point that you can't really coax any more dynamics out of the bass with slapping, which IMO is GOOD. On the wood necked Warwick, you have your volume set for normal style, and then switch over to slap and it is like BOOM/BAP!! and your volume goes up 2x. Slap volume on the Zon is more consistent with regular style volume. As such, I don't need to use a compressor on my rig (except the one in the Eden head, which I have on at a minimum, just for coloration more than anything else).

Now, all that being said, one of my favorite players is Stuart Zender who is a Warwick slut, and his slapping is amazing on it. But, I am sure he has some type of comression, and I like ro run my sound through as little other stuff as possible. YMMV.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Turner wannabees?

;)

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    BTW... what Woodchuck said. Any of them can work well... it's up to you.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Interesting. I find it to be the exact opposite for me (don't get me wrong, I am nowhere near to doing some of the schtuff that you are on your site), but I find that it is easier for me on a bass with tighter strings. Looser strings tend to make me feel like I am trying to play rubber bands. My hands end up "tripping" over the strings unless I really pay attention to what I am doing, whereas on my 35" scale basses, it all comes naturally, especially on the Modulus, which has even tighter strings than my Cirrus.

I do agree with you about the Warwick necks, though. To me, they are not a fast playing neck. One other player that comes to mind that is getting a killer slap sound out of a Warwick is P-Nut from 311. His tone on songs like "Come Original" is to die for, IMHO.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.;)

20. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    If you try to double thump on a modulus quantum for about a half hour you will see what I am talking about, and then see your thumb really mangled up, b/c if the string is really stiff, when you come up for the upstroke on the double thump, you will need more energy in that upstroke, and you won't be happy. :-(

Also for tapping, I would imagine it is easier to invoke a looser string for tapping than a tighter one.

Zons are also a bit thinner from front to back and to me the neck feels faster.