1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass of these 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexMalmis, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Epiphone Toby Standard IV

8.1%
  2. Ibanez Gio GSR200B

17.6%
  3. Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

74.3%
  1. AlexMalmis

AlexMalmis

Dec 11, 2018
    What is the best bass for a begginer of the these 3?
    Epiphones Toby Standard IV
    Ibanez Gio GSR200B
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

2. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    How about adding the Ibanez TMB-100 to the list? For $200, you get a bass that a lot of people (including me) really like.

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You mean the best bass for metal?

The tricky thing with lower-end instruments is the wide swings in goodness between each instrument. I can certainly envision coming up with one example that is superior to the other two, regardless how you slice it.

This is an instance where no amount of asking the internet will ferret out the correct answer. You have to go play them.

wmmj, DJ Bebop, retslock and 8 others like this.
  4. AlexMalmis

AlexMalmis

Dec 11, 2018
    Well I dont like the look of it. Lol.

Herrick likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I’d look a bit further.
    Play as many basses as possible. You should be able to find something that feels right and sounds good.
    Sure, a certain look might catch your eye, but looks are the least of your concerns.
    Not saying a good-looking bass won’t sound good, if something does catch your eye, give it a try. Then see if the important things match up.

DJ Bebop and hintz like this.
  6. AlexMalmis

AlexMalmis

Dec 11, 2018
    Yeah true.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Hey, i wouldn’t buy a bass unless it looks good.
    Why even bother to pick one up and plug it in when there are so many great-looking options that also get the job done?

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Are those three ones that are in your music store? Just curious because while they're all viable options for someone who's starting out, I don't know if I would have necessarily picked those three. Try them out, and make sure to try others that you might be interested in.
    Nothing wrong with wanting something that will encourage you to play ie. if it looks good to you but that's just part of the picture, there are many basses I think do look cool but when I actually got to try them, they were uncomfortable to play on or they sounded awful.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    DJ Bebop, Artman and lowdownthump like this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    What is your budget and what type of music will you be playing ? Do you have any favorite bands or players?

wmmj likes this.
  10. AlexMalmis

AlexMalmis

Dec 11, 2018
    Well my budget is like maximum 220$

11. AlexMalmis

AlexMalmis

Dec 11, 2018
    Nope they are not but I picken them since they are the kost reccomended at the price.

12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Go with a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe. Used will get you a lot more bass for the $.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The Ibanez is the most ergonomic of the three. The other two are going to be very poorly balanced and as a beginner will lead you to some frustration or bad habits. My first bass was an entry level Ibanez. Easy to play and learn on. Good luck

wmmj, TolerancEJ and wintremute like this.
  14. Like some others said, save a few $ and look at something else.
    But in saying that, I had a Squier VM jag with active bass boost. Mine was a good one. It was a indo made. Nice neck, stayed in tune, good sound. Got compliments on it. The jag shape did not "line up" with my leg when I sat on a stool and played. Had some looks from gear snobs it being a Squier. I did sell it & got a fender p.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I owned a Toby a few years back. It was light in weight and very well balanced. The neck is a bit wider than an Ibanez, which, for me, made it more ergonomic.

Nothing wrong with the Ibanez, but I think if you played a Toby, your opinion would change. They’re goid basses, and a great value.

Mertle72 likes this.
  16. I second Skillet's suggestion- the Ibanez TMB-100 is a terrific value, sounds pretty decent, and will give your hands a familiar (aka, P-bass-like) neck to grow on.

At $200 clams, it can't be everything to everybody, but like I said, for that amount of coin, it's almost a no-brainer.

wmmj and Skillet like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This one’s definitely worth another $30. Ibanez Talman TMB 310 on sale right now for $249.99...$50 off the regular price and a step up from the $200 Talmans.
    Surprisingly nice bass Similar to the Jaguar in appearance.
    2dhbrbb.
    TMB 300s
    2ztaefa.

saabfender, wmmj, CPplaysBASS and 5 others like this.
  18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'm not sure where you live, but don't forget to look at used basses too. You can probably get a pretty decent used bass for your budget.
    I owned all three of the basses on your list at one time or another, again, all are pretty decent but keep your options open to other instruments you may see. One I can think of off the top of my head is a used Sterling SUB Ray. Also the amp you use will determine how you sound, a great expensive bass on a cheap amp will still sound pretty bad so a good amp or output (whatever you decide to use) is equally as important.

BurnOut and lowdownthump like this.
  19. AlexMalmis

AlexMalmis

Dec 11, 2018
    Ohh the squier is shortscale in that case I Will not get that. I guess it stunds betsen the Toby and the Ibanez.

20. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    As others have suggested, I would look for a used bass that might have been in the range of 300-500 new and might now be available in your price range. If you get someone knowledgeable to help you look, and take your time, you are likely to end up with something very very good.