1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass on a Christmas Song

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by keirensimms, Dec 27, 2011.

1. keirensimms

keirensimms

Nov 19, 2011
    Most Christmas song compilations cut a cross section through many genres and are a chance to hear styles and players which may have been missed. I've heard some absolute gems (albeit played ad nauseum) from the festive tune bank - Elton John Step Into Christmas being my favourite. How about everyone else? And were you ever forced to play a Christmas turkey of a song in the name of r'n'r!?

Merry Christmas!

2. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Listen to the Peanuts Christmas album. Lots of smooth bass in there.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in the day...MTV used to play the video to "Step Into Christmas". Elton's very cool band was in the video (Dee Murray, Davey Johnstone, & Nigel Olson).
    Once upon a time, MTV & VH1 played Xmas vids...and all day, IIRC, on December 25.
    I assume their management, sometime in the '90s, decided Christmas was square/unhip/did not fit their target audience?

Bass Player mag just did a transcription for Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas"...excellent R&B tune. Hathaway played a Fender Piano Bass on the track & just ripped!
    Last year, Bass Player transcribed "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses. Tracy Wormworth played a great part.

If you want "cool" bass...The Flecktones have a Christmas album. Wooten tears it up.
    John Patitucci plays a great part/solo on the Electrik Band's "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".
    Jimmy Haslip (&the Yellowjackets) do a great job on Take 6's version of the same tune.

Plenty out there...

4. Most christmas music I like doesn't have electric bass on it. If it has any bass string instrument, it's classical bass viol. More often, it's a choral arrangement with a bass voice part, and/or pipe organ.

5. VixCosmicHippo

VixCosmicHippo

Dec 15, 2010
    +1 for the Flecktones Christmas album, "jingle all the way," an absolutely phenomenal album, even when it isn't Christmas time. :) Especially Wooten's solo bass arrangement of "the Christmas song." Just amazing, quite technical, but so musical and melodic at the same time, (Wooten has the great ability to do that just about all the time) it's a lot of fun to play too. But yeah, I HIGHLY recommend that album. Some great guests too, including the upright bass skills of a certain Edgar Meyer, among others. Check it out for sure.

6. How about a shout out for John Taylor on 1984's Band-Aid "Feed the World" ? It's simple and it could have been handled by a sequencer but they took the trouble to find a real bass and a real bassist, and that makes all the difference.

7. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I stepped on people's nuts playing Oh Holy Night. That was the best. The rest weren't wretched, but left me rather wanting.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    There is some mighty fine bass playing on Springsteen's live Santa Claus is coming to town.

ChefKen likes this.
  9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    BigDanT likes this.
  10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Bootsy Collins' "Christmas Is 4 Ever" album. His version of "Rudolph" features some out-of-this-world nasty envelope filter bass playing. The whole album kills!

11. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Stevie Wonder's "Some day at Christmas" has some tasty Motown bass work in it.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Absolutely!
    Last week, me & my gal pal are in Macy's..."Some Day At Christmas" is playing. I tell her-
    "...if anyone ever asks you what is 'the Motown Sound'...use this song as an example".
    The J5's Christmas album from the early '70s is also full of tasty Motown/R&B bass.

13. AQP

AQP

May 31, 2011
  14. AQP

AQP

May 31, 2011
  15. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    My vote is for the Jackson 5's "Up on the Housetop". I think it's Jamerson.

JimK likes this.
  16. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Solid choice! If it's not Jamerson, it's certainly his style.

JimK likes this.
  17. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    brokenstoned likes this.
  18. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
  19. xfretlessx

xfretlessx

Dec 17, 2010
    Mohawk, NY
    +1 to Hillsong...we do a lot of their stuff and just about ALL of it has great bass lines IMO

20. +1!
    Most excellent album. Especially like Silent Night...