Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by poundround, Mar 9, 2005.

1. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Im going to go with my Fulltone bass driver. But what does everyone else think? :bassist:

2. Fulltone, TECH 21 and DOD 250

3. My Boss Bass OverDrive ODB-3 has done me well :bassist:

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like my Fulltone bass drive, but theres many others that are great, **edited for the purposes of safety**, SABDDI, Hao Rustride, DOD 250, EBS Multidrive...

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm loving my Dod 250 but it has some issues like no LED. I'd love to try a fulltone *hint* *hint* to somebody

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The SABDDI and the Ibanez PD7 are my favorites so far.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think it's great, but there's others that may do what you want.
    To add to toasted's list: Dredgetone Angler, Barber Deep Fryer, BJF Blueberry Bass OD,Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

8. I've actually come to find that my native Sweden is great for bass OD's;

EBS Multidrive, BJF Blueberry Bass Overdrive, and bass mods on Boss DS1/SD1 by www.stinkfoot.se check it out!

9. Tubescreamer
    Fulltone
    BOSS OD-1
    BOSS Heavy Metal
    Ibeenhad Phathed
    Big Muff
    Royal Octave Fuzz
    Ampeg Scrambler
    Marshall Guvnor
    ZVex Wooley Mammoth

And all the homebrews.

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  11. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Most of those are fuzzes or distortions. :D

My favorite overdrives are the Hao Rust Ride, BJF Blueberry, DOD 250, and the gain circuit in the Sansamp RBI.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fulltone, SansAmp and Jacques Tubeblower.

14. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    I CURRENTLY HAVE THE FULLTONE, BUT IM PICKING UP THE MESA V-1 BOTTLE ROCKET...IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK WELL WITH BASS....NO LOSS OF LOW END...ETC...I GUESS WELL SEE.....

15. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    I dig my Fulltone- Not enough to shout about it, though :D

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, but I have the deep fryer which is/was their bass od/dist two channel pedal. They discontinued it last year, don't think it was selling enough.
    I don't think the burn unit is bass friendly, but I could be wrong.
    David Barber did say last year that he's researching a new version of the Deep Fryer.

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I've owned and enjoyed many ODs for bass, didn't really like the Fulltone except for one setting on the Boost channel - but I wasn't going to keep it based on one setting that I couldn't do more with (if that sound were on the green channel i'd have been OK, cause I could've added to it with boost if I wanted to...)

I liked the:
    Voodoo Lab Sparkledrive
    EBS Multidrive
    Mesa V-Twin (blue channel is perfect, red channel will melt your face)

But recently I've just been overwhelmingly pleased with my el-cheapo Snarling Dogs Blue Doo. I've had it awhile, sitting in a drawer because I didn't happen to like it on my old basses back when I had a Gibson and a Cort Curbow. Brought it back out this past weekend and it's back in the game! It's true bypass and you can get them for like 50 bucks and under. I run mine with the volume at unity or a little higher, and the gain about 3:00, attack switch on Bite and tone either bypassed or all the way down, depending on the mood and the bass.

Edit: for some reason Blue Doo doesn't get along with my Modulus so well, so when I'm playing that I might stick with the MultiDrive - I think the mod's high output just makes the Doo distort too much. And you know how painful distorted Doo can be.

(note: "fuzzes" not included in this writeup, whole separate ballgame - actually the Blue Doo is a rough drive so it's closer to fuzz anyway.)

19. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    sneaks over to Joe's house and cuts his throat ninja style... :ninja: