best bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by spaz naz, Nov 5, 2002.

1. jaco pastorius

0 vote(s)
  2. cliff burton

1 vote(s)
  3. flea

0 vote(s)
  4. other please give name

4 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaz naz

spaz naz

Oct 27, 2002
    bradley WV
    who do you think is the best bass player just wonderin
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    This is so getting VERY old.
  3. James Jamerson is definitely one of the best. He's still my main inspiration.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I'm sorry.. but while flea is a good bassist.. he doesn't IMO deserve to be mentioned amung the top notch bassist..

That being said, it is impossible to label the best bass player... there are so many with varying techniques and styles...

I mean I think I have about 10 or more bass players that I consider to be phenominal bassist... but I couldn't begin to rank them....
  5. Conroy

Nov 3, 2002
    Hey I just read your reply to this saying Flea cannot be classified on of the best bassist. Well what does classify best, if anything does wouldnt it be for what the bassist does for a song rather than what they do to show off, or how about how their basslines are communicated to others, or what about their drive to do something different and unique. Well if you COULD classify the best bassist I would say Flea is right up there, he makes the most unique killer basslines that run through everyone minds. Flea has influenced more bassist than anyother bassist. He has changed the sound of music not to mention the way people look at bass. You say his name, and people know him for his craziness on stage and unbelieveable basslines, he is crazy and amazing at the same time. On the new album he wanted to try something new and conqueer another aspect of music so not only did he play bass with a pic but decided to try out singing backup and keyboard, hes just a plain badass and if anyone should be classified as a BADASS bassist, he should.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    1 Bob
    2 Steve McNiffle
    3 Bubba

one of those three.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    True.. but some people would say the same about fieldy... again you have to realize that this is my opinion... and in my opinion, while I agree that Flea is great (i did state the in above post) I just wouldn't classify him as one of the best..
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    this question has been asked to death in here now. there is NO one BEST player. Its too speculative and opininated a statement to dub any one person as the best. Please do a search and check the FAQ and you'll find more than enough answers to your question. If its not in the FAQ please let me know via email or pm and I will personally go through all the posts make one big mega thread on this topic and add it to the FAQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.