Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass recording microhpone around $100...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jan 9, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, I did some searches but didn't end up with a whole lot of information here. I'm looking for a microphone around the $100-ish range that will handle a real bass-heavy tone without crapping out at medium / medium-high volume. I keep hearing good things about the Shure SM-57 (I think that's the right model, or maybe it was the 58). From Shure's website, it looks like the thing begins to roll off around 100 Hz and is -10dB at 40 Hz. Is there anything in this price range that has a flatter response? Any other suggestions?

2. If your looking for a mic for your amp, you'll need a large dynamic mic like an AKG D112, or a Shure Beta 52. These mics can also be used on kick drums, so they have a wide frequency response but can take the dynamic range of a bass amp. Bad news is they're around $200 (I think). A cheaper solution is to get a direct box and run to the PA direct. If you have a line-out on the back of your amp, then the only thing you need is a cable! ;)

Hope that helps.

Jeff in Chi-town

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The D112 is the one but they are £134 here in UK so they are probably out of your price range (as lakland5 said) Shop around though.

I am in a similar poisition but have no cash at the moment (3 kids car house etc).

The one I am interested in is the AKG 550 which is £60 (this is why I gave the UK price of the D112). THis should be in your range but how good it is???

Happy hunting at least you have something to stick in your search engine

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ah, yeah I figured that I might need to up my price range. Actually, I do have a balanced line out on each of my amps, but I'm trying to capture the amplified tone that I get out of them. Hmm...well, looks like I need to save up a bit.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you want to record then you might be best to just rent a mic for the recording sessions instead of buying one outright. Just a suggestion...

6. I'm about to buy an AKG D112 but have also seen the Sennheiser E602 for a similar price. The D112 has been the industry standard for years. Has anyone compared it with more recently introduced models?

7. hey guys

just a suggestion: i know it's not really a top of the range mic, but i use a Samson Q2 when i need to mic up my amp, for recording etc. i only do it because when i use the line out on my head it sounds really thin and trebly. the Q2 gives a pretty thick low end and has a high cut and attenuation controll on the mic to stop the distortion at high sound pressure levels. in good old austraila they retail for about au$170 at present.

just my two cents, hope it helps,

lexy

8. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    buy one second hand!! Every single piece of music equipment i own, except perhaps a lead and a guitar stand, is second hand.... who cares if its got a few scratches, u can get great equipment for cheap! :cool: Why do people always want to buy stuff new? I just dont get it.... :rolleyes:

9. rockabliiybass:

I use a D112 on the 15" cab. Either a Carvin CM68 , a Shure SM 58, or a Shure SM57 on the 2x10s. The amp is biamped. I also take a direct signal. Most of my recorded sound come from the direct, with the mics barely mixed in as needed. If I'm limited in tracks I'll go direct every time.

That being said, on our last recording we used an AKG (the one I listed above) on an 18" cab. The
    10s went through a Shure KSM 32. I would prefer my D112, but I wasn't the engineer for this project, so we used what he was familiar with. We took a direct, but the AKG was most of the sound. Then the direct was added to smooth things out a little - The KSM just barely in to brighten up the tone.

The D112 would have been nicer than that AKG for sure, but we didn't have it on us, and I couldn't want to drive home to get it. It is more of a bass drum mic for sure, but can work well on a bass cab. Positioning it differently gives some different sounds but a little EQ on the bottom is inevitable, as well as some lower mids to bring out the sound of the instrument a little more. I'd love to try a Shure Beta 52 but or a Sennheiser 421 as I prefer the sound of them, but the D112 is functional and familiar enough fo now. Plus I can' afford another mic.

If you can try both out, do so, but otherwise, keep asking others that have some different brands. The D112 is up there though, along with a few others. Sorry I can't say anything about the Samson.

10. In my opinion, the difference between $100 and $220 is not that great when you consider the big picture. I recommend saving up a little more $ and get the mic you want (D112 or whatever) because saving $100 and wishing you had somehting else is not where you want to be. If you're talking about $1000 difference in prices, then you've got some some thinking to do, but do yourself a favor and get the good one you want because you won't regret it in the long run.
    G

11. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Sounds like a plan to me, General.

In short, I'm not using this in a studio, mainly looking for something that is decently nice for home-recording and such (I'm running through a Behringer 8 channel mixer). However, my weakest link is the recording equipment itself. My mixer works and sounds great, but my old cruddy tape-player just isn't up to it. Perhaps a CD recorder or a Minidisk recorder will be mine in the future...

12. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    audio technica atm25 $139

13. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I have worked as a sound tech. in a local theater for four years now, during that time I have done many recordings. For my money I would get the Shure SM-58. It is a versitile mic. The best all around mic. in my opinion.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I prefer the SM-57. The 58 would be my second choice.

15. this is probably to late, but for anyone searching for this question

I have been doing large live concerts for quite some time now. (Sound engineer and drummer/bass player)

here is what I use.....
    AKG D112 for faster songs (it tends to have more of an attack, and punch then a Beta 52)
    for mellower songs, and slower stuff I use a Shure Beta 52.

Now for cheap stuff.......you cant go wrong with a SM57. They are a workhorse.

but heres some advice...get a gate, and compressor if your going to mic your live rig.

16. SupaFli

SupaFli Guest

Feb 18, 2002