1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass rig hauling vehicle (for metal!!!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bengals, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bengals

Bengals

Jul 6, 2010
    I've seen threads about people basing their car buying decisions on their rig before. But I was curious about what has been the best vehicle for the job from their experiences. I'm looking for a balance of easy loading for an 810 with as good mileage as I can get. Any suggestions?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    2WD Toyota Tacoma pickup with the 4 cyl engine and an aluminum topper (for security and protection from the elements). 27-28 mpg and you can haul LOTS of stuff. I haul my rig, PA, lights, and still have lots of room for the gui****'s half stack.

3. I buy cheap, junky full size vans about every 5 years. The bigger the engine the more fun it is. I currently have a 1990 Dodge van with a big V8 and it still gets about 20mpg. I bought it for $300.

4. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    The tour bus-train-tank looking vehicle Dethklok uses in the animated show :)

5. Infrasonik B.

Infrasonik B. Banned

Aug 4, 2010
    Ottawa, On
    My bassmobile is a Mitsubishi LancerÂ…wagon.

A LOT more storage capacity than a Honda CRV, RAV4 and the like. Same as a Ford Escape and most small SUVs.

DOUBLE the gas mileage, cheaper to buy and usually more reliable than its SUV counterparts.

I can fit my upright, 3 electrics, head, 115 cab with bit of storage space left over and room for 2 others in the car.

Looks like this one
    sstp_0909_06_z+2005_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_gt_wagon+rear_view.

6. That is my exact truck.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For a non-van or trailer situation, I love my Honda Element.

The interior is completely modular, with seats that individually fold up to the sides or remove quickly and easily. It has a rubberized floor rather than carpeting and the floor is FLAT rather than having wheel wells. Because the rear doors open up backwards, when you slide the front seats forward, you can load stuff in by way of the sides as well as the back. Its got tie down anchors in the back as well if you need to secure partial loads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. +1 on the Element. The most practical car ever made.

9. I got the Toyota Matrix, because, well, it's a Toyota. Good on gas, reliable, and a great rear cargo area with fold down seats and a huge amount of storage.

10. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I use a Toyota Tacoma quad-cab 4x4 with matching fiberglass canopy.

It hauls a lot, but it's also expensive and sucks the gas.

I used to own a Honda CR-V, which had great space and mileage, but the road noise was intolerable.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The Honda Fit is surprisingly big for a small car. It's like a mini station wagon with the rear seats folded down. I am not sure if it would fit an 8x10 cab, but you can load quite a bit of stock in it. It is no powerhouse though.

12. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    My 2002 F150 Supercharged 340 HP Harley Davidson Edition is pretty metal.

Good gas mileage? nope. Economical and practical, nope. A snarling beast that turns heads? oh yeah.
    kt1lw.

13. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Believe it or not I drive a Civic Si hatchback and a newer Volkswagen Rabbit. They are both 3 door hatchbacks and they can both fit my Ampeg 810e. As a bonus I can also carry my upright bass in them as well. And they are both fun to drive.
    Honda-Civic_Si_2004_800x600_wallpaper_01.
    [​IMG]

14. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Yes, that's the best truck for metal!:D

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Dodge Caravan with sliding doors on both sides ... a dime a dozen, good mileage and parts are everywhere ... I take out the middle seat and use the between doors for cargo, still plenty of room behind rear seat for stuff and passengers can ride as well ... an 810 should lay right across the floor behind the front seats and you still have full access to everything ... unload everything out both doors at once if in a hurry, and no real extended reaching ... this is not to be confused with the single side door versions, where you are stretching and reaching for everything .. like the back of a pick-up, especially if you have a topper on it ... JMHO

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Lemmy likes tanks.....

Lemmy+tank+commander.

17. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Completly agree. The whole, complete and exact reason I bought one. 7 years at 24 mpg aint too bad. Been very reliable(you know honda) it just goes through windshields like nobody's business.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was strongly considering a Honda Element when my Hyundai Tucson is paid off. Now I find out they've been discontinued. Bleh.

And it's definitely not metal. But a friend uses an old Volvo station wagon as his gigmobile and I'm frequently impressed at how much gear he can carry in that thing.

19. Best all around? Something that has a large amount of lockable weatherproof storage. Mini/Full Sized Vans, Suvs, to a lesser degree pickups with caps.

Best for metal? Hearse, no doubt. Had a friend that drove one in high school

20. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    The van from old school.