1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass rig with no stage noise (Cali76 already purchased)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dedrye, Sep 29, 2013.

1. dedrye

dedrye

Sep 29, 2013
    Hey guys,

I'm new here and would love some quick advice. I'm primarily a guitar player and I'm looking to purchase a Cali76 (or Slide-Rig) for my guitar rig, but I'm also wanting to put together a bass rig as well, as I am starting to pick up gigs that meet that need in my area. Plus, I've discovered how freaking awesome playing bass is...

So, again, I'm investing in the Cali76 (or Sliderig if its sufficient for bass since it quenches my GAS for playing slide on my guitar rig)...What else would you guys suggest for a quick plug-n-play rig WITHOUT buying an actual amp? I'll be using in-ears on the road and with most gigs...OR, if you guys think I'll fair better with a small combo, I'm all ears.

I was thinking about a Reddi DI...again, I'm green when it comes to any kind of bass gear...enlighten me! Thanks!

-Derek

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You'll find that the REDDI has some rabidly devoted fans here. :) However it is "just" a DI, so if you want any EQ, dirt, or other tone shaping, you'll need something else. Whether you want any other tone shaping is up to you.

If you just want to add EQ, look into the Empress ParaEQ.

Also, the Cali76 acts as a DI on its own (if you get the transformer version).

3. dedrye

dedrye

Sep 29, 2013
    Thanks bongo...I think I actually read your review on the Cali76. I'm actually about to pull the plug on one now. Since the transformer option has a DI output, would that eliminate the need for a REDDI you think? And just spend my extra money on a tone shaping solution? If so, what would you suggest for tone shaping? Thanks!

4. dedrye

dedrye

Sep 29, 2013
    Also, I was thinking that the iron-core transformer option Cali76 could "drive" my tone more...however, its a compressor so I didn't want to add unnecessary squish. I was just quoting the website in its "saturating" abilities. Maybe I'm mistaken about my idea of what kind of saturation this would provide? I'm just looking to get a nice thick tone and perhaps just a "touch" of drive. Thanks!

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The saturation of the xformer results in the subtle tonal effect I described in the review, the extra "niceness". It sounds almost nothing like overdrive, and doesn't add significant compression beyond what the comp part already does. :)