1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass setup place in Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smurfco, Aug 8, 2007.

1. smurfco

smurfco Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Well I've finished the mods to my '51 RI P-bass (added a Badass III bridge and a Lollar pickup, along with the electrosocket jack). I am having some trouble getting it set up to where it plays well without buzzing. I've come to the conclusion that for all the work I've put into it I deserve for it to be perfectly set up.

Which brings me to my question: What's the best place to take a bass for a setup in the Atlanta area (preferably north Atlanta)? Atlanta Bass Gallery (do they do setups)? About what should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Resonance129 likes this.
  2. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    The Atlanta Bass Gallery is the ONLY place in Atlanta for this. Jim is the BEST, and when you are in there you will be blown away by the bass guitar selection he has in there. Enjoy the experience:bassist:

3. +1!! Allow your self plenty of time to browse :)

4. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I figured as much. Sweet! I'll take it in to him soon.

Thanks gang!

5. Kevinh

Kevinh

Jul 25, 2007
    I was actually told by an unnamed source that works for the ATL bass gallary to take basses to Nate at Southeast Guitar repair... Nate only... supposed to be the best tech in GA. Only works with basses. This place is in Gwinett... a little ways up 85N off of 285.

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've never had Rubio do any work for me, but he is a class act & I'd have no problem taking work to him. My guy is Peter Jones who works out of Atlanta Discount in Chamblee, and is hands down the best luthier I have encountered down here in 25+ years of playing,

He's in Conyers GA. PM me if interested & I'll give you his info. He'd the best in town IMHO. He has "resurrected" basses I thought were dead to me!

7. +1000 :D

8. also +1000 Pete did a fret and set up on my 92 fender a year ago and it was top notch......:D

9. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Peter Jones is THE MAN here in Atlanta. You won't find better!

10. +2. Peter Jones did an almost impossible repair to my 1969 Gibson SG Maestro;- in 1979! It had a broken neck join, horribly worn out frets and was a general basket case when I gave it to Peter. Since then, and even now, this is one of the best Gibsons that one could ever play in terms of the fretwork and neck set. Nothing ever needs adjusting. He's done some similar fret work for friends of mine recently and by all reports his work is still very fine. And Peter is a monster bass player so he knows what you need.

I know nothing but good about Jim Rubio as well. While I did the set-up on the two basses I bought from Jim, they were Ritters and really didn't need much done, so it was a pretty simple thing. I don't think you could go wrong with Jim though, and he might be easier to find and be able to return your instrument sooner. He is also a very talented player and works on the finest basses built anywhere. Either way, these are two of the best options in the city.

11. BottleRocket

BottleRocket

Oct 30, 2006
    Australia
    Sorry - I'm a long way from Atlanta, so I can't help with the setup, but I've just caught on to these electrosocket jacks, and wanted any advice anyone can give me.

I have a 90s '51 re-issue and a Sting, and am a confirmed fan of that early Tele-style shaping. I've replaced both bridges, and (apart from being on the hunt for a stock '51 pickguard in black to replace the daggy white one that came fitted to mine) the next item on my hit-list is that dreadful jack socket!

Can you (or anyone, really :) ) confirm that the standard electrosocket fits the basses? That would be a major result as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers!

12. ArtisanLuthiers

ArtisanLuthiers Commercial User

Feb 21, 2019
    Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
    Artisan Luthiers is a guitar repair and maintenance shop in Kennesaw, GA
    Atlanta is a very big place so there's the proximity factor to consider. Here are 3 good options for bass setups in Atlanta:
    Inside 285: Call Jeff at Intown Guitar :: Repair IntownGuitarRepair.com
    NW Metro: Call Jim at Artisan Luthiers :: ArtisanLuthiers.com
    NE Metro: Call Brian at Righteous Guitars :: RighteousGuitars.com

13. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    What about you? Aside from sparing me a visit into the bowels of Atlanta (I know that is redundant), Kennesaw is much nearer to east-central AL.

14. ArtisanLuthiers

Feb 21, 2019
    Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
    We would certainly welcome your business! It's often "just marketing words", but we truly think first about our customers. To that point, if you like, we can also try to locate a trustworthy shop that is closer to eAL.

15. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Wowsers. I must have caught you during coffee break. Prompt reply. On my side of the Chattahoochee I probably would use Homewood Music in Homewood, AL. I've got a local fellow about a half hour away whom I've used for some things, but he already has admitted he would face the same bump in the road that I would were I to do the work myself.

16. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I wonder if Peter is still around?

17. ArtisanLuthiers

Feb 21, 2019
    Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
    LOL - I thought the same when I posted and received a reply before I left the site.

Feel free to contact us anytime - just to say hi, ask for advice, or schedule some work. Email us at support@ArtisanLuthiers.com Have a blessed day!

18. ArtisanLuthiers

Feb 21, 2019
    Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
    Peter?

19. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Jones

20. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I'd just like to thank you for the prompt reply to my original post!

Tvrtko likes this.