best bass solo I have ever seen...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alembicf1x, Sep 13, 2005.

1. A very well-respected drummer friend of mine recently wrote this email to me:

"...i saw this castellano guy play bass with blue oyster cult and he did the best bass solo i have ever seen...check out his web site @"

I checked out the website and it turns out he is a GUITARIST!! I'm sure he's a fine musician, but most guitarists, when I hear them play bass, I just cringe. Too bad a real bassist didn't get the gig (although I am curious to hear his solo now!).
  2. slsuby

Sep 8, 2005
    Salt Lake
    I was a guitarist!!!!

3. I'm not one of them, but there are those who'll tell you the best bass solo was the one that wasn't taken.
  4. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    yeah same here.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well... as a bassist... I have decided that this thread doesn't belong in basses.

Who cares if a bassist was a guitarist... sometimes "guitar riffs on bass" sound cool! Example... For the Love of Money... that bass riff is so a guitar riff played on bass. Seriously... try playing it (like on the recording, and with a pick) and tell me that doesn't feel like a guitar riff. And it's one of the most respect basslines in funk.
  6. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Riffs yes, "solos" on bass or drums=YAwnnnnnnnnnn!
    Just my opinion. Rythym instruments belong in the back, I'm a purist I guess. I'm an ex-drummer of 20 yrs and a hobby bass player for a year. I've never gone and seen a band hoping the drummer or bass player would do a solo. :cool:
  7. Its interesting, and informative,to note that the best bass solo I EVER saw live, was a NYC street performance, ( the subway station right near the big record store in the village,)

and this dude played completely percussively. I was beelining from McSorleys to make some show/dinner? with a big group and I insisted we stop. It just really hit me how percussive the bass really can be. Dude had great chops. :bassist: some of the best slap and fingering I've ever seen.

Which we could fish up a .wav ofthe BOC riffs..

sometimes the best "solos" are a simple riff or ring,

guitar or bass.. like B.B. King likely would have made a fine bass player with tasty riffs....

I could see easily flippin between rythm guitar and bass from gig to gig. One reason I bought a Telecaster years back when I gigged.

Bass, guitar, whatever, it's all about the " ridum na man". Yes?

BTW< Mr. Till is precisely correct. This thread is not about basses at all.
  8. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    ric fierabracci in Yanni's "live at the acropolis" vcd.

smokin bass solo
  9. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Any Victor Wooten, Oteil Burbridge or both together. I used to see Oteil live back in the ARU days and he was/is phenomenal.
  10. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Agreed. In fact, I dread it.
  11. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I used to agree with this. Now I think it's the player that makes/breaks the solo not the choice of instrument.